7 replies to this topic

#1 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Saw this Saturday. Why has nobody spoke of this wonderful show of yet? Is everybody keeping this a secret to themselves?

I thought this was excellent. Very funny, very different but hugely enjoyable.

Preferred the first half myself, the second half got very silly. But although silly, I laughed long and loud through most of this act.

I enjoyed many decent acting performances but just want to highlight two. I remember someone in another thread asking of any up and coming stars and so I will throw a couple of names into the mix on that discussion.

George Bukhari who played Bottom was very funny. I saw Lord of the Flies at Regents Park last year and liked his Piggy. One to watch this one. Two very different roles in two different productions and both performed wonderfully.

I also enjoyed Rebecca Oldfield's Helena. The delivery of lines, the comic timing and facial expressions particularly in the scene with Lysander and Demetrius both declaring their love was simply a joy.

All in all a very funny show. What a great way to spend two and a half hours and if the sun is shining, Regents Park is the place to be in London this summer.

#2 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

We were there yesterday too, loved every minute and agree with all your points. All the drama is in the first act, but the second act is frenetic and funny. Unlike Timothy Sheader's meddling for meddling's sake with Ragtime, Matthew Dunster has really cleverly rejuvenated this classic with up to the minute contemporary pop culture references (Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, Britain's Got Talent, etc)  I have raved at length on my blog, but it is a totallly enjoyable blast of an evening http://www.frontrowd...gents-park.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#3 theatremonkey.com

theatremonkey.com

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

I was at the same performance, and agree about the lead quartet and staging. Hermia and Helena's verbal jousting accross the stalls, Helena's tattoo, the vanishing heart on Lysander's tracksuit... all magic touches.

I would NEVER put this production down, but if I was asked why, I'd say that the fifth full star was missing from professional reviews for a few reasons. First because I felt Titania was somewhat isolated, and though competent, I felt lacked majesty. Second, I didn't "catch on" about how violent Theseus was until right at the end - so was a bit confused in act 5. Third, there were a couple of minor diction problems, I thought. Also, I wonder if the builders theme might have been carried forward by making the fairies their natural enemies - council inspectors and social workers?

Still, it's 4.5 stars, and I took a "first timer" with me, who loved it all. It's the sort of thing schools should all see to prove that Bill the Quill isn't just a dull book-learning job, I think.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

Yes, well done Laird for starting this thread; I saw it a couple of weeks agp and it was the most enjoyable Dream I've ever seen, and also the darkest - a most satisfying combination.

#5 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Personally I thought it was one of the worst Dreams I've seen, and seem to recall posting about it at the time (though perhaps my recollection of that is mixed with speaking to various folk elsewhere about the production).

Is there still 15/20 minutes of song/dance clogging up Act 5?

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

I really enjoyed the excellent production of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” on Saturday evening.
I must have seen ‘The Dream’ at the Open Air Theatre at least five times now.  
I thought that this production was very funny and very clever.  It was one of those productions that really worked well with a super cast, set design, music and lighting.

#7 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 06 August 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

Personally I thought it was one of the worst Dreams I've seen, and seem to recall posting about it at the time (though perhaps my recollection of that is mixed with speaking to various folk elsewhere about the production).

Is there still 15/20 minutes of song/dance clogging up Act 5?

I’m inclined to agree with you

The first half was way too serious and the second half was full of karaoke hits.

Although I did ‘like’ the dynamic between Hippolyta and Theseus

Some really good acting but because of the concept it’s a thumbs down from me.

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#8 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

I really liked this (my first AMND actually!) but Mrs1981 left at the interval (it was pre-press night and dry but cold and damp so her mood wasn't the best to be fair.)

One thing though, can't we find another song to use rather than that Beyonce song.  This, The Changeling, Propeller Winter's Tale and possibly something else all have used it this year.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users