#101 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostDragononmyback, on 28 January 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

As per the latest published schedule I ended up seeing Kristin as Anna both Friday and Saturday nights. Although slightly disappointed I did not see it both ways around I did enjoy it very much and thought that Kristin (Anna) and Lia (Kate) were both very good. My impression afterwards was that his woudl be the best way around, because they seemed so suited to the roels that way around, but I don't have anyting to compare it against. Rufus was also very good.

I might try and go again if I get the chance to see it the other way around, although it will probably be a little while before I get to London again, so it may or may not happen.

I did notice that there were some press folks there on Saturday night. I thought they might be getting the show in this way around before seeing it switched at the Press Night, but from the schedule it seems press night is also Kristin as Anna and Lia as Kate.

I can't help thinking it is very unfair to you if the schedule you booked under was changed. You have in fact booked for two shows which is what they want. Can't you ask them for a reduced rate for a third?

#102 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Can't you ask them for a reduced rate for a third?

I would have asked for a refund on the 2nd one, personally. The role reversal is their gimmick and if they change the schedule after the fact, I think it's only fair to allow people to exchange.

#103 Dragononmyback

Dragononmyback

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 28 January 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

I would have asked for a refund on the 2nd one, personally. The role reversal is their gimmick and if they change the schedule after the fact, I think it's only fair to allow people to exchange.

The thing is they do warn you on the schedule that it is subject to change so I knew when I booked it that things could change, even though I was hoping they would not.

I also considered seeing if I could change my 2nd ticket but decided that I was already in London with nothing else to do on Saturday evening and I am not sure when I can get back to London to see it again anyway.

I am in London a few more times during its run but I have already booked tickets to see other things so can't really fit it in on those days.

Maybe I should have gone to the stage door on Friday night and had a quiet word with Lia and Kristin to see if they would switch roles for me ;-)

Anyway I enjoyed the show very much even seeing twice the same way around. If I do get a third ticket I will probably leave it until the last minute so there is less chance of the roles changing.

#104 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Going back tonight for KST as Anna. Can't wait.

#105 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3746 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Saw this on press night last night, with Lia Williams as Kate and KST as Anna. Slightly disappointed by it, to be honest. I usually get on well with Pinter, but this is definitely the most mystifying/cryptic play of his I've seen thus far. So much so you struggle to care for anyone. That said, there is some beautiful language and word-play, and it's persuasively acted. Lia Williams esp good. Rufus Sewell plays Deeley quite cheeky, and I'd be interested to see either a slightly more menacing or pensive take on the role. The way round I saw it felt like the more natural casting, but if I have the time, I might try and see it the other way, out of interest- and to see if I 'get' the play more the second time round.

Ian Rickson's production feels a bit clunky with a long/unnecessary scene change half way through, and even the Pinter stage is too big for it.

Jez Butterworth clearly loved it though; can see why, it's not too dissimilar to The River in many ways. He gave it a standing ovation as soon as the curtain fell.

#106 icecream

icecream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Rave reviews for this - cant wait to see both versions.

#107 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I loved it. Went dayseating for the first tossing coin performance - as I heard Rufus Sewell tossed the coin who to play Kate -and it was Lia Williams. Didn't have the feeling of being clunky - scene change went on quite fast. It's the second play of Pinter I have seen after Betrayal and I must say I like their challenges for actors and audience - I like to be made thinking. Excellent performances by all of them and I got a bit charmed by RS I must admit. And yes, this looks like the more natural casting choice, I might try to see it the other way round next month.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#108 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Went dayseating for the first tossing coin performance - as I heard Rufus Sewell tossed the coin who to play Kate -and it was Lia Williams

How does it work with the coin toss exactly? As the staging in the first scene in is reversed depending on who plays whom, is the coin tossed early enough for notices to go up in the foyer as to who is whom? Or is it announced from the stage right before curtain up?

#109 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 08 February 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

How does it work with the coin toss exactly? As the staging in the first scene in is reversed depending on who plays whom, is the coin tossed early enough for notices to go up in the foyer as to who is whom? Or is it announced from the stage right before curtain up?

It's done 17:45 at the stage door. It was only announced right before curtain up.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#110 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3746 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Does a little crowd gather?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users