• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#71 Theatrebunny

Theatrebunny

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I've been to see this!  There are day seats (front row, same as last play with Rob Brydon) but I turned up too late on Saturday and ended up having to buy a standing ticket instead, which was all that was left. Worth doing though as only about an hour and a half straight through and not a bad view.  I have bought myself a £10 ticket at back of stalls for later in the run to see it the other way round cos I enjoyed the play so much. I wasn't 100% sure what was happening all the time but the play was of such a high standard I really enjoyed it and from what I know of Pinter that's part of the fun, right? All three actors were just excellent and I now have a terrible crush on Mr Sewell.  I wish I'd seen him on stage before . . . dreamy.

#72 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostTheatrebunny, on 14 January 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

There are day seats (front row, same as last play with Rob Brydon) but I turned up too late on Saturday and ended up having to buy a standing ticket instead, which was all that was left.

When did you turn up then?
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#73 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Theatrebunny, join the queue for Mr Sewell. I first saw him play the tutor in Arcadia. I was impressed then.

#74 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Theatrebunny, are the day seats still £10 as for Chorus Of Disapproval, please?

#75 Theatrebunny

Theatrebunny

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Yes day seats are £10 (I was lame/stupid and didn't turn up until the afternoon, I think if I'd got there for 10am I would have been fine) plus there are other £10 seats dotted around that you can buy in advance, my other one is at the back of the stalls but they said it had a clear view.

Oh Lynette, you lucky thing, he is lush!

#76 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

Thank you, Theatrebunny.  I will aim to arrive early and to bag a day seat, as I prefer to be close to the action.  As I saw the Donmar version I don't feel justified in spending more but would still like to see this to compare.

#77 Theatrebunny

Theatrebunny

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

No problems, I'd like to know how it compares, did the Donmar do the role reversal aswell? Also, I've been down to the theatre again to get another ticket for my mum (apparently she has long since been aware of the charms of Mr Sewell) to join me when I go again in April and so I asked about the pillar seats you all mentioned. Apparently they've put in some new seats since the last play and so those seats are no longer restricted or as restricted hence the price increase (I did say they should make that clear on the plan) but that there are still lots of other £10 seats available, which is true as I just bought one . . . but if you bought one of those pillar seats at £10 you've made a steal!!

#78 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

No, the Donmar played it straight, as it were, and so far as I know, this is the first time anyone has tried the role-swapping with this play, though of course there are other fairly well-known examples.  At least when it's official you have some idea of what, if not necessarily who, to expect, unlike going to see a big show and finding that the star never does matinees, or a performance of a play or show when sickness means the understudies are out in force.  ((Just to say though that I have nothing against understudies; it's just that if you have been anticipating seeing a particular actor or actors, it can be disappointing.)  Not keen on Rufus Sewell, I must say, but I shall have to try not to let his appearance (which I find most unappetising) prevent me from focusing on the play.

#79 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

Saw this play years ago, not one of Pinter's best, would have been enlivened by a bit of role swapping between Michael Gambon and Liv Ullmann.

#80 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Was that (Gambon/Ullman) 1984-ish? If so it means I have seen Michael Gambon onstage without realising. I was at a sparsely attended matinee and at the interval an elderly man nearby asked me "What's going on? Why are they behaving like this?". Suspect I gave an A-level student pseud's answer. I like KST, but have no desire to see this again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users