- - - - -

Feedback Please On New 'showbiz' Website!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hi,

I would like some feedback on a website I've been developing as I'm planning on releasing a prototype version of the site shortly.

As much as I love WOS and other sites like officiallondontheatre, one thing which always frustrates me slightly is not enough information on the actual shows. Up to date cast lists with bios, running times, photos, videos and news for individual productions.

I've been developing a site using American sites as an inspiration. Broadway.com is a good example of an information site rather than a news site.

What do you think about this and is there anything you would like to see on a 'showbiz' site?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dean

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

An imdb type thing with past credits would be nice
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

It would be great if it could act as a database of past casts as well - not just the current one - that way you can check back to see who was in the cast at any point during a long-running show.

Have you checked out IBDB.com?

#4 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Yes, I really like this idea and have often looked on IBDB.com.

I'm not quite sure how I would go about gathering all the information. I'm sure producers would be willing to provide all cast and crew lists from the history of the show. ??

I quite like the fact that IBDB lists every single production that has ever been on. That would be interesting too.

Any more thoughts on this?

Dean

#5 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

It is the sort of thing that might work well in a Wiki format - using crowd sourcing to provide you with the knowledge (and having a team of people who are prepared to check/edit for accuracy)

Certainly worth approaching the leading theatres/producers to see if they have archival material they would be willing to share and whether they would permit a gallery of publicity material and photos to be assembled

I think a blend between current info and an archive would be the ideal model and would be useful for theatregoers and researchers/journalists.  Certainly it is always interesting to see which shows actors manage to miss off their CVs...!

#6 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for your comments. I'm now looking into the idea of a database of all west end musicals/plays which will list all casts in its history. It will be a rather large task, but hopefully achievable.

#7 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

The only show to have that kind of treatment to my knowledge is Wicked, again done in a wiki set-up: http://oz.wikia.com/...cked_cast_lists

However, that type of thing for many productions would be very good to see (would save on trying desperately to find that one programme from years ago to check if person X  you've just seen was in that cast of a production, for exmaple).

#8 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

There is already a website that has cast lists past and present for all West End showns http://www.londonmusicalsonline.com/ It goes back at least several years for the long runners and all the way back to 1985 for Les Mis.

Please note that I have no connection to the site, I just find it useful for checking when x person was in x show.

#9 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

not all west end shows. Would be nice to have a database of all plays as well.

#10 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Would love a Broadway.com style website for the uk, i love Paul Wontoreks Show People, the backstage tours and Side By Side By Susan Blackwell.!! its not just a website for shows but for performers as well, a great sense of the community!!!
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users