12 replies to this topic

#1 SideShow Phil

SideShow Phil

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

How come it never made it over here ? Did anyone see it on Broadway..? Reckon it will ever get here ?

#2 oscardarling

oscardarling

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

Not sure if we will get it-I kind of think it would have made it over here already if it was going too but I would absolutely love to see it as some of the music and songs are really strong, and I think it would be completely different to anything over here now.

#3 Belle

Belle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Musical theatre, costumes, shiny things

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:10 PM

It seems to be going strong in Germany - it is strange it's not made it to our shores, in a tour if not the West End.  I'd love to see it, some of the music's great, and it could be so exciting visually!  I don't know if the existing productions have been as exciting as it seems they could be tho.
###Belle###

#4 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(SideShow Phil @ Mar 9 2007, 05:08 PM) View Post
How come it never made it over here ? Did anyone see it on Broadway..? Reckon it will ever get here ?

I pray every year it will make it in some form as its my favourite cd, but I dont think it will im afraid

#5 Boq

Boq

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order:<br />Ruthie Henshall, Linzi Hateley, John Barrowman, Roger Rees, Kerry Ellis, Tonya Pinkins, Maggie Smith, Ian McKellen, Julie Atherton, Stephanie J.Block, Angela Lansbury, Elaine Paige, Hugh Jackman, Elena Roger, Philip Quast, David Suchet, Judi Dench, Fox-Jackson Keen

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:10 PM

I saw AIDA in Germany and It's really a very dull show with a very poor staging. The music by Elton John is good but the songs doen't to appeal on stage.
All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists.

- Stephen Sondheim

#6 canmark

canmark

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

I saw AIDA on Broadway back in 2002. I thought it was OK, a bit of a fluff musical, perhaps, but decently staged with an attractive fashion-conscious sensibility (ie. it looked good, but lacked depth). I didn't see the original cast (Simone, daughter of Nina Simone, was playing Aida when I saw it), but they were perfectly good. The songs are not overly good, which is why I prefer the concept album (featuring big name pop stars) over the Broadway cast album. Taken out of the context of the show, a lot of the songs work better (exception: The Gods Love Nubia, a gospel-tinged number that ends Act 1). From the concept CD I particularly like Not Me (Boys II Men), Easy As Life (Tina Turner), Written in the Stars (Elton John/LeAnn Rimes), and esp. Elaborate Lives (Heather Headly, the original star of the show).  

I'm surprised Aida never made it to London, as it's had a lengthy tour of the U.S. (still going strong), playing in all sorts of dinky towns. Apparently it played 1,852 performances on Broadway.

AIDA on tour

#7 Epcot99

Epcot99

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

I saw the show back in 2000, April time I think with Sherie Rene Scott, Adam Pascal and Heather Headley.

Thought it was FAB!, one of the best musicals I've seen!.

I'd love them to bring it to London, I thought I read somewhere that Tim Rice was thinking about it...........

I hope he does more bringing and less thinking about it............. biggrin.gif

#8 thecrucible

thecrucible

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:59 AM

I saw the show on Broadway with the original cast (although with Adam Pascal's understudy) and thought it was the most overblown show I'd ever seen. The music is good, especially The Cloak (think that's what it's called) and some of the big numbers in the second half but it's so cheesy on stage and the fashion show during My Strongest Suit was the most ridiculous conceit I've ever seen - and it went on for ever and ever!
It's a shame because I think there's a nice, relatively simple but honest Disney musical (if that's not a contradiction in terms) in there but the original Broadway show was so excessive it became ridiculous.
Great performances from Heather Headley and Sherie Rene Scott though - especially Sherie who was very funny.

#9 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(thecrucible @ Mar 15 2007, 11:59 AM) View Post
I saw the show on Broadway with the original cast (although with Adam Pascal's understudy) and thought it was the most overblown show I'd ever seen. The music is good, especially The Cloak (think that's what it's called) and some of the big numbers in the second half but it's so cheesy on stage and the fashion show during My Strongest Suit was the most ridiculous conceit I've ever seen - and it went on for ever and ever!
It's a shame because I think there's a nice, relatively simple but honest Disney musical (if that's not a contradiction in terms) in there but the original Broadway show was so excessive it became ridiculous.
Great performances from Heather Headley and Sherie Rene Scott though - especially Sherie who was very funny.

i admit from the cd and  a bootleg of the show ive seen 'my strongest suit' for me doesnt quite work.

#10 TBFL

TBFL

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

On stage it is one of the dullest shows i have ever sat thru. Except from a superb performance from Deborah Cox as Aida, i was bored senseless. Yes the score has some great music in it, but you can only really appreciate it after hearing it several times. One first hearing in the theatre??  YAWN!!

I'm sure it will be a great shows for amateur groups, but i dont think we will ever see a full west end production.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users