Were you there? http://www.royalcour...iday-17-august/

#2 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

No (at work sadly), but brilliant to see the Royal Court doing this - it always gives me a warm feeling when arts bodies stand up for artistic freedoms generally.

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

View PostAbby, on 17 August 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

No (at work sadly), but brilliant to see the Royal Court doing this - it always gives me a warm feeling when arts bodies stand up for artistic freedoms generally.

Not sure why the Royal Court should spend their grant getting so exercised over this (non-theatrical) issue, why not protest about the lack of artistic freedom in Iran (say) ? I suppose they have to balance the benfit of showing their right-on 1970's-style left-wing posturing against the danger of their target regime retaliating in some way.

#4 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

I reckon there's just as much to fear from Putin as Iran - polonium in your sustainably-sourced sushi would give you more than a headache...

#5 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

Here is another deserving case for the Royal Court. Alexander Barankov wrote an apparently factual blog detailing corruption in Belarus. This annoyed the dictator of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko so much that although Barankov was not actually living in Belarus Lukashenko contacted the president of the country where he was living and had him arrested and thrown into jail where he has been for the past several months awaiting extradition to Belarus.

This would seem like an even more valid cause for protest than that of a punk band who performed, uninvited, in a church to protest about the activities of the church - if that happened in a UK church I doubt the Royal Court would be protesting at all.

One small problem for the Royal Court leftists would be the country who has arrested Barankov on behalf of a dictator is Ecuador, that becaon of freedom who have granted diplomatic immunity to Assange - doesn't really fit the leftists narrative to critcise them.

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

I don't mind the RC doing this. As long as they do it for me if necessary.

Also tagged with Royal Court Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users