9 replies to this topic

#1 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

With Michael Grandage reviving his highly-successful Donmar and Broadway production of 'Red' by John Logan in Los Angeles, with Alfred Molina and Jonathan Groff, do we think this play might finally get the West End run it deserves??

http://www.centerthe...rg/tickets/red/

#2 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hope so! I finally went to see Rothkos at Tate Modern at the weekend...having been wanting to see them since Red was on at Donmar. I was quite amused as I found the paintings at Donmar far better! Lighting at Donmar was a bit special, even for the Donmar, and then at Tate it was all a bit dull by comparison! :rolleyes:

#3 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3746 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

I thought the same Latecomer, though I never saw it at the Donmar... just going by the production photos! I hope it returns, would love to see it.

#4 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 19 August 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

I thought the same Latecomer, though I never saw it at the Donmar... just going by the production photos! I hope it returns, would love to see it.

You would have loved it too....it was the Donmar "dream team" but Neil Austin created a lighting masterpiece. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

#5 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3746 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

I've heard and read ALOT about this lighting wizardry, and how it was created using original 1920s studio lights and battens. Perhaps if Peter and Alice is a success, this may fast-track its return.

#6 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 19 August 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

I've heard and read ALOT about this lighting wizardry, and how it was created using original 1920s studio lights and battens. Perhaps if Peter and Alice is a success, this may fast-track its return.

You so need to go somewhere where you can work with lighting next year! B)

#7 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

It seems like a play that needs a small-ish space, like the Donmar.  The theatre in LA, the Mark Taper Forum, is an intimate amphitheatre and quite perfect for it.  As I'm there at the moment I'll be seeing it this week.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#8 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

View Postmallardo, on 19 August 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

It seems like a play that needs a small-ish space, like the Donmar.  The theatre in LA, the Mark Taper Forum, is an intimate amphitheatre and quite perfect for it.  As I'm there at the moment I'll be seeing it this week.

Yes I saw it when I was in New York and although it was still terrific I couldn't help but think it needed more intimacy than that theatre offered.

#9 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

I could imagine it at The Duchess theatre...it has that rather good claustrophobic feeling there!

#10 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 20 August 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

I could imagine it at The Duchess theatre...it has that rather good claustrophobic feeling there!

According to the Musicals forum, Rock of Ages could well be transferring to the Duchess, presumably for an open-ended run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users