20 replies to this topic

#1 James84

James84

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

I am going to see Priscilla on Thursday evening and have seats in row C of the Dress Circle which I booked back in January for the "preview price" of 50.  I've since discovered they are in the designated premium seats so I'm lucky I booked them early as I'd otherwise be paying 82.50 + booking fee and when the show is officially open this rises to 92.50 + booking fee.

Are there any other West End musicals that have such high premium seat prices?  Over 60 for a ticket is a lot but 92.50 is crazy!

I also notice that for Priscilla, there are vast areas blocked out for this pricing - 80 of the best stalls seats and 40 in the dress circle - seems an awful lot?!

#2 Aranel

Aranel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(James84 @ Mar 18 2009, 11:37 PM) View Post
I also notice that for Priscilla, there are vast areas blocked out for this pricing - 80 of the best stalls seats and 40 in the dress circle - seems an awful lot?!

Especially when half of what's left is restircted view!! Doesn't leave much for those of us that want a decent seat at a non-ridiculous price.

Like you, I was fortunate enough to get a preview priced seat in what is now a 'premium' zone. It was a fantastic view for a fantastic show and I'm disappointed I won't be able to get a similar seat again without paying crazy prices (which I don't do!).

It's a shame they don't even have a cheap day seat front row option for this show....it's not very accessible for fans who like to return to shows time and time again.

#3 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE(Aranel @ Mar 19 2009, 09:36 AM) View Post
It's a shame they don't even have a cheap day seat front row option for this show....it's not very accessible for fans who like to return to shows time and time again.

It's not very accessible for anyone, really, is it?

I'd like to see it, but unless some discounts come along I won't - I refuse to pay top-seat prices for what is highly likely to be restricted view, and I'm definitely not paying 90 odd just to be sure I can see the whole show....

It's just not worth it - I can see 3 different shows for that price!

#4 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(Kathryn2 @ Mar 19 2009, 09:53 AM) View Post
It's not very accessible for anyone, really, is it?

I'd like to see it, but unless some discounts come along I won't - I refuse to pay top-seat prices for what is highly likely to be restricted view, and I'm definitely not paying 90 odd just to be sure I can see the whole show....

It's just not worth it - I can see 3 different shows for that price!

Today I tried to book for a matinee on a Sat but there are no good seats left only restricted views and the dreaded premium seats. Am going to wait and try for the next booking period. I want to know who is buying
these seats at such ridiculous prices and what happens to them if they dont sell???

#5 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(Aranel @ Mar 19 2009, 09:36 AM) View Post

Some people like to sit in the front row but just want to book tickets as normal. Why should the best seats be sold as day seats? I know it's the sort of thing that appeals to the sort of fans that like to think they deserve special treatment, but I detest all sorts of preferential treatment. If the fans want to sit in the front row they should book tickets like anyone else.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#6 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

It really is ridiculous and I think it must only be the tourists who buy these seats. But the whole show is over priced in my opinion. Over 65 for a Saturday night! Why don't the producers understand that they will get a lot more people into the theatre if they get rid of this stupid pricing!

#7 Leopard

Leopard

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(RH1234 @ Mar 19 2009, 07:50 PM) View Post
It really is ridiculous and I think it must only be the tourists who buy these seats. But the whole show is over priced in my opinion. Over 65 for a Saturday night! Why don't the producers understand that they will get a lot more people into the theatre if they get rid of this stupid pricing!

Producers really don't learn do they - so many shows before them have tried to over-inflate the prices and failed. I think they will find out soon enough though and this massive over-pricing could be the undoing of this show - which is a massive shame.

If they don't reduce all the prices down soon I do fear this will be a short run...

#8 Aranel

Aranel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Mar 19 2009, 07:08 PM) View Post
Some people like to sit in the front row but just want to book tickets as normal. Why should the best seats be sold as day seats? I know it's the sort of thing that appeals to the sort of fans that like to think they deserve special treatment, but I detest all sorts of preferential treatment. If the fans want to sit in the front row they should book tickets like anyone else.

Ok, not day seats then, I just used that phrase as people know what I mean. I'd be even happier if they were bookable in advance rather than day seats...I don't personally enjoy sitting out waiting for a box office to open and am very happy that shows such as Jersey Boys or Les Mis give the option to book cheap seats the 'normal' way.

I say front row because general opinion often tends to be that front row is NOT the best place to sit.....hence the reason a lot of shows sell them cheaper.
I'm not personally fussed about the location....I'd actually prefer 4th or 5th row and I certainly don't expect 'special treatment' if I choose to return to a show a number of times.....I'd just like a cheap option so I can afford to return (and not have to sit in the Gods)!!

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Leopard @ Mar 19 2009, 07:56 PM) View Post
Producers really don't learn do they - so many shows before them have tried to over-inflate the prices and failed. I think they will find out soon enough though and this massive over-pricing could be the undoing of this show - which is a massive shame.

If they don't reduce all the prices down soon I do fear this will be a short run...

Broadway has been doing Premium seats for ages. It is something that is used only for sell-out shows which people can;t book for at the last minute and are prepared to pay over the odds for.  In other words it plays ticket touts at their own game.  In the West End premium seats have always existed in the form of ....ticket touts!

You may not like it - but Producers DO know what they are doing!

#10 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE(RH1234 @ Mar 19 2009, 07:50 PM) View Post
It really is ridiculous and I think it must only be the tourists who buy these seats.

I do wonder if these ridiculously inflated ticket prices haven't come about in response to the exchange rate -- a premium ticket to Priscilla today costs about the same in US dollars or Euro than a 60-quid ticket did last summer.  And we are heading into tourist season.  

(This makes me hope that when the pendulum inevitably swings the other way, prices will come down.)

*shrug*  Dunno - just a thought.
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users