Top price for good plays on the road ( with no subsidy ) is 32.50

#12 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

My local is charging £75 for Dirty Dancing. War Horse is much better than that, and not your average play.

I'm not defending these high prices, but I am not surprised by them at all.

#13 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

People only have so much money and what happens is the poor shows albeit some are good ones as well, either side of these extortionately priced ones, suffer

There's a recession be sensible

It's making theatre elitist, I thought the national theatre was for everyone, my hytner and me starr should be ashamed

#14 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

I think South Pacific at Wimbledon was more than £40 (£45, I think), but wasn't as much as fifty.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#15 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

£50 at the Lowry, worse still is that the cheapest seat is £32. I won't even pay £50 to see a play in the West End.

Strange that the top price for One Man, Two Guvnors tour is £25, surely there is no way the National Theatre can justify the difference.

#16 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2540 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

My understanding is that NT Touring in the UK of One Man, Two Guvnors, Travelling Light, Grief, etc.is very limited and receives specific public subsidy in addition to the NT's core South Bank subsidy. But there's no subsidy for West End transfers, and presumably also not for this War Horse tour which, at its ten months, is three or four times longer than an entire year's NT Touring programme. So, you'd expect War Horse tickets to be priced like other similar commercial shows. The quoted £50 or £52 is similar to big touring musicals like Oliver! I haven't seen War Horse but I gather it's more akin to a big musical than to a touring play. In fact, surely very very few plays are staged in these venues. For example, the Donald Gordon Theatre at Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff presents plays less frequently than once a year. These venues have their own higher costs and are much too big for most plays.

#17 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 02 October 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

My understanding is that NT Touring in the UK of One Man, Two Guvnors, Travelling Light, Grief, etc.is very limited and receives specific public subsidy in addition to the NT's core South Bank subsidy. But there's no subsidy for West End transfers, and presumably also not for this War Horse tour which, at its ten months, is three or four times longer than an entire year's NT Touring programme. So, you'd expect War Horse tickets to be priced like other similar commercial shows. The quoted £50 or £52 is similar to big touring musicals like Oliver! I haven't seen War Horse but I gather it's more akin to a big musical than to a touring play. In fact, surely very very few plays are staged in these venues. For example, the Donald Gordon Theatre at Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff presents plays less frequently than once a year. These venues have their own higher costs and are much too big for most plays.

We saw Calendar Girls in the big auditorium at the Cardiff millennium, we paid £30 for front stalls and I don't think there was an empty seat and it was a big expensive albeit tv names cast

#18 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2540 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

The forthcoming One Man Two Guvnors at the WMC is also priced at £30 top, Mon to Thu, whereas War Horse is £44 which is less than tickets for Oliver! and Phantom. Apart from OMTG being subsidised, I assume that the Calendar Girls pricing could assume high attendances. Apart from the cast, isn't War Horse a more expensive staging than Calendar Girls?

#19 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Good point

Lets hope the large profits that the national makes on this go back to the national and not to private individuals
It was our tax paying money that subsidised the original development at the national theatre studio for two years

The pricing tho is still greedy

#20 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2540 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

War Horse is a show for young, family and adult audiences. At the New London Theatre, there's a £10 discount (Mon to Thu) for under-18s who probably comprise a significant chunk of the audience. If tour venues offer similar discounts, that significantly reduces the average ticket price paid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users