• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostJamiem, on 02 October 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

£52 top price seat
Subsidised theatre?
You're having a laugh

Is it truly an NT tour, or is it being run by commercial producers ? The RSC West End prices for Julius Caesar and Much Ado were also stupidly high and apparently totally unsubsidised, plus the commercial producers poked their noses into the artistic direction too (putting an interval into JC when the director didn't want one).

#22 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 02 October 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Is it truly an NT tour, or is it being run by commercial producers ? The RSC West End prices for Julius Caesar and Much Ado were also stupidly high and apparently totally unsubsidised, plus the commercial producers poked their noses into the artistic direction too (putting an interval into JC when the director didn't want one).

Theatre owners now have a missed interval penalty clause, in delfont  mackintosh's  case
It is 1000 per performance

#23 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 02 October 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

I think the London production of War Horse was produced by the National and National Angels but it's possible the the UK tour has commercial producers.

Interesting that shows have a missed interval penalty, I imagine producers incorporate it into their running costs if a show doesn't have one, Constellations which is going to the Duke of York's is only 70 minutes but it's being produced by ATG and Royal Court so I imagine they'll include the penalty in the running costs or waiver it.

#24 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1220 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Well the Business is overtaking showbusiness!  Unbelievable prices for a play! The costs can be nowhere near the costs of a musical. Producers are becoming very greedy. (ALW and his arena?) Of course this will still sell out as many people do not have the oppportunity to get to London. It is other shows on the theatres calendar which will suffer. People only have so much cash! My local ATG is really empty most weeks through lack of decent product at around £30 for a straight play. I was offered stalls seats this week ( usually £30 for this show) for £15!

#25 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 02 October 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

Well the Business is overtaking showbusiness!  Unbelievable prices for a play! The costs can be nowhere near the costs of a musical. Producers are becoming very greedy. (ALW and his arena?) Of course this will still sell out as many people do not have the oppportunity to get to London. It is other shows on the theatres calendar which will suffer. People only have so much cash! My local ATG is really empty most weeks through lack of decent product at around 30 for a straight play. I was offered stalls seats this week ( usually 30 for this show) for 15!

HERE HERE everything you say is so true

These people are killing the business with their greed

#26 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Nine dates and only one ATG date
Odd
Could it be a touch of the Sarah Millicans?

#27 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

View PostJamiem, on 02 October 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Nine dates and only one ATG date
Odd
Could it be a touch of the Sarah Millicans?

Depends on who is producing it on the commercial side, they may well have some form of deal (or preferential rates) with another company.

#28 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostJamiem, on 02 October 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

Theatre owners now have a missed interval penalty clause, in delfont  mackintosh's  case
It is £1000 per performance

Just out of interest, and I'd like to know fairly exactly, how much profit does a full-house theatre make from interval drinks and so on ? £1000 per performance sounds very high (for profit, not revenue) as the majority of the audience in ATG's squalid West End venues either go and stand in the street or couldn't get near the tiny bars if they wanted to. My suspicion is that this is just a penalty fee to stop them losing a somewhat smaller amount of money but I may be wrong.

#29 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1220 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

A Chorus Line orginally did not have an interval at Drury Lane - I wonder if the the same will apply at the Palladium?

I am sure the £1000 is just an extra revenue if they can get away with it like restoration levies and booking fees etc. But with the price of drinks in theatres I bet the profit isn't far short of £1000 per interval especially in big houses - £9 for a glass of wine anyone? It's 50p a sip!!!!!

#30 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 03 October 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

A Chorus Line orginally did not have an interval at Drury Lane - I wonder if the the same will apply at the Palladium?

I am sure the £1000 is just an extra revenue if they can get away with it like restoration levies and booking fees etc. But with the price of drinks in theatres I bet the profit isn't far short of £1000 per interval especially in big houses - £9 for a glass of wine anyone? It's 50p a sip!!!!!

Well, we can have a guess can't we but I'd like to hear from someone who knows. 5 glasses per bottle, so £45 per bottle when it costs (charitably) £10 makes £7 profit per glass so I suppose they can clear £1000 on a good night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users