35 replies to this topic

#31 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

The price will be reflected in the cost it takes to tour!

One Man Two Guvnor's = Small cast, small set - probably will tour in one 32tonne truck
War Horse = HUGE cast, huge set - probably tour in 7-8 32 tonne trucks

Sometimes there are figures that the public just don't see, I know having now been working in commercial theatre that producers do not want to "RIP" people off, but there are costs that you wouldn't even expect that get added on that do and that all has to account in the price per ticket.

If you want a really good book to read which should enlighten you to the costs and how hard it is, then read Julius Green's book How to Produce in the West End - makes for a very interesting read!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#32 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 03 October 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

The price will be reflected in the cost it takes to tour!

One Man Two Guvnor's = Small cast, small set - probably will tour in one 32tonne truck
War Horse = HUGE cast, huge set - probably tour in 7-8 32 tonne trucks

Sometimes there are figures that the public just don't see, I know having now been working in commercial theatre that producers do not want to "RIP" people off, but there are costs that you wouldn't even expect that get added on that do and that all has to account in the price per ticket.

If you want a really good book to read which should enlighten you to the costs and how hard it is, then read Julius Green's book How to Produce in the West End - makes for a very interesting read!
Has Julius Green himself ever produced  a hit in the West End?

#33 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Does War Horse have a huge set? Been a while since I saw it, but I don't remember the set at all.

#34 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

The UK touring production is a version of the US road tour which is smaller than the West End physical production

#35 Lover

Lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

Its amazing how "small" a show can look yet how many trucks it takes.

Avenue Q for instance toured in 3 45ft artics for its tour. And for people who know the show - there isnt a lot to "see'.
Bear in mind, this didnt include the portals that were in london. That alone would have pushed it to 4 trucks I expect.

Most people dont understand how expensive it is in reality to put on a show. However here is an idea for you.

30 acting staff @ £650 per week
15 technicians @ £650 per week
C/M etc etc @ £800 per week

+ you have to pay NI contribution and holiday pay as well etc etc.

Travel
You have to pay travel from venue to venue. And though a lot of the time this is only 2nd class rail fare, this can be expensive. Some journeys are cheap, some are not. However a £75 travel ticket is not unheard of.

Trucking
Then you have to trucking. This can cost easily cost you £1000 - £1500 per truck per journey. And thats only if its a simple. Add double drivers, drop offs, cross channel - this can quickly increase

Fit Up and Get Out
To fit the show up you need production staff, their travel, wages, hotels etc

Venue Costs
Then comes the venue costs. Most hours are recharged back. So if you have say 10 technicians on the fit up and get out - your looking at potentially £10,000 per venue. (Depending on lengths of fit up / get out.

You have to pay all show staff that they provide over and beyond the basic call (contract specific)

You even have to pay 15% - 25% of all your merchandise to the venue for the privilege.

Cost of marketing the show.

Other
You still have to pay the rights, ongoing fees to the directors, designers.

This is all before you even start to consider all the staff back in the offices. The costs for the auditions, medical care for the company (Physio / Massage), understudy costs. Costs for travel to publicity calls. Supplies for the tour. Its amazing how many boxes of screws, tape, lamps, plugs, fuses, microphones, new batteries every show.

Musicians. Instruments, repairs

Insurance premiums.

Costs of a venue:
A 70 / 30 split isn't unheard of (in the producers favour of course. Though many shows also just pay a flat fee. This is really varied quite a lot.

So based on a FULL sellout of a  1000 seat venue for 8 shows at £40 a ticket that would generate a basic income from tickets of £320,000. BUT thats only if EVERY seat was sold at that.

Take the split - £224,000 to to the production company. They then have to pay VAT and TAX on this amount also.

As you can see quite quickly - there isn't always a lot of money to be made.

I could go on - but it will get boring. But i hope this gives you some explanation the fact that in this day and age, putting a show on is NOT cheap.

#36 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Having seen the US tour, if the UK tour is the same then it will be a high quality production with very little difference between the west end and tour. There probably are differences, but as its two years since i saw it in the west end i couldnt tell what they are, and its certainly nothing that weakens the production. The staging is still amazing and to the average theatre goer you would not see any difference. To theatre geeks who have seen it loads they may spot things, but i felt id see the west end production and didnt feel short changed in the least. I also saw it in a large venue.  the only thing id say is i dont know how it plays at the back of the larger venues, we were nearer the front so cheap seats may feel more diatant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users