160 replies to this topic

#101 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

I've been wondering whether to see this and think I must be one of the potential audience members bemused and confused by the marketing mentioned above.  I mainly see plays, both mainstream and fringe, and whilst I do like some musicals, I prefer the smaller ones such as (currently or recently) Daddy Long Legs, Call Me Madam, Hot Mikado, etc.  I particularly haven't enjoyed the big ones people make so much fuss about, notably (sorry folks) Wicked, and other fringe hits such as Mack And Mabel and Victor/Victoria.  So how on earth do I have a clue as to whether to go for this one, especially when there's so much else out there which I'm more certain of liking, such as Rent?

#102 HammerToFall

HammerToFall

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Give this a chance. It's cute.

#103 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

So what sort of music is it, please?  I've seen references to Busted but they mean nothing to me.  Can anyone compare it to the musical style of any other shows as a guide?  If it helps, I loathed Rock Of Ages and didn't take to Wicked, either.

#104 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

About Busted

North London-based trio Busted first appeared in early 2002 with an audacious blend of BBMak and Boyzone called "What I Go to School For." The single's sugar high of saccharine pop-punk progressions, processed harmonies, and cheeky curse words ("I fought my way to the front of class/To get the best view of her ass") was a big hit with the kids, and saddled the Busted boys with immediate sensation status. And why not? Mattie Jay, James Bourne, and Charlie Simpson were freshly scrubbed yet fashionably skuzzy, and came complete with PG-rated potty mouths perfect for an audience raised on boy pop but newly taken with blink-182 and Good Charlotte.

#105 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Well I'm still none the wiser, and could now do with a translation of the above!

#106 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

James has written with Mcfly if that helps. But its probably faster for you to youtube
Son of dork or busted eg

#107 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Thank you, jaqs - much more helpful!  I've never heard of James Bourne, either (though judging from the shrieking, others have), but at least I now know what sort of noise he makes.

#108 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Think upbeat  "Rent".

#109 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Seriously-you can't be serious!It's horrible!

#110 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Well, I don't like Rent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users