160 replies to this topic

#111 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

I listened to the previews of songs from Son of Dork on iTunes - is it that style of music then?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#112 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

In general yes, although a couple of songs have new arrangements (particularly We're Not Alone)

#113 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Tweet from West End Producer.

westendproducer@westendproducer

Very saddened to hear the news of this musical closing. I loved it. I imagine ROA will be going into that theatre, #dear

The above, and Dan Buckley leaving for Mormon surely no lated than early January, makes me think Loserville will be closing. Such a shame to loose an original piece of theatre.

#114 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

That's the conclusion I made too. Shame, however reviews etc really did not get behind this one. Whilst I can perfectly see where they are coming from, it's a dark day for new writing.

The fact ROA is still running and potentially moving in (admittedly, that was rumoured months ago) is akin to rubbing salt into a wound.

#115 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Mark Shenton has said it's closing jan 5th.

#116 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Such a shame that new music can not seem to make it in the West End. I really liked Loserville.I really liked Ghost The Musical too.As I mentioned earlier in this thread the advertisers should be shot for their advertising of Loserville.
So what musicals are opening ?  The Bodyguard and Viva Forever ... jukebox musicals.
Thank goodness for The Book of Mormon transferring.

#117 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

What a shame! its Flashdance all over again. It had some flaws when i saw it but it's cute and fresh and fun and desseves to stay around a little longer. it just hasnt found its audience. :(

Side note: I'd rather ROA close than move to the Garrick!! It's a horrible theatre :( it killed my love for Chicago a little bit...

#118 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

I think this is a shame. As Shenton said, it wasn't perfect but it was new, fun, original & so uplifting. And nobody can have worked harder than James Bourne at personally promoting it.

I'm thrilled for Daniel Buckley getting Mormon though.

Apart from those openings that lesterf mentions, there is also Once, but having seen the film that just doesn't excite me.

ROA would be better at the Garrick than the rumoured Duchess; but either way I don't think it is going to last much longer.

#119 timbo

timbo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yes, this is a great shame. I wasn't a fan of this show but it deserves a longer run than this. We need to support new musicals much more.

#120 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

View Posttimbo, on 10 November 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

Yes, this is a great shame. I wasn't a fan of this show but it deserves a longer run than this. We need to support new musicals much more.

I don't really understand this.  And I don't meant to single out 'timbo' specifically, but you're not a fan of the show, and a lot of people in here weren't that impressed, yet everyone says we need to support original new British shows.  Even if people don't like them?!  If this had been fantastic and everyone had loved it surely it wouldn't be closing?  A show can only be judged on its merits, not its newness or originalness or its Britishness.  Should we really be flocking to pay money for things we don't enjoy, just to "support" them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users