#121 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

View Postlesterf, on 10 November 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

So what musicals are opening ?  The Bodyguard and Viva Forever ... jukebox musicals.
Thank goodness for The Book of Mormon transferring.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory too (although I guess that's a way away).  And the Chorus Line/Kiss Me Kate revivals.

At least Viva Forever has an original storyline - and let's not forget that Loserville isn't entirely original anyway, with four or five songs coming off a pre-existing album.

For people who say that Loserville hasn't "found its audience" - who do you think that audience was?  Who do you think didn't come to see the show?  No matter how good the reviews had been (and it didn't deserve rave reviews anyway), it's not a family show (you wouldn't take little kids to see it and their parents would be bored), it's not a date show, it's not massively funny nor particularly dramatic... it's a show about teenagers that appeals to young adults who aren't going to spend full price on a stalls ticket.  From a commercial point of view it just wasn't a goer.

I'm sure the show will make back some of its losses through licensing on the amateur circuit; it's the kind of thing that youth groups, NYMT etc. will lap up, far more so than other flops like Lend Me A Tenor.

#122 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

The key problem with this production, personally, has been the lack of a solid book. People commented on that back up at Leeds and it certainly could have been tightened at the very least. However, I doubt that would change where we are today.

View Postcat123, on 10 November 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

What a shame! its Flashdance all over again. It had some flaws when i saw it but it's cute and fresh and fun and desseves to stay around a little longer. it just hasnt found its audience. :(

Side note: I'd rather ROA close than move to the Garrick!! It's a horrible theatre :( it killed my love for Chicago a little bit...

I agree with you on the Flashdance comparison, though I am less surprised this hasn't survived than I was that Flashdance didn't.

I'd also rather ROA close than move to the Garrick, but that's for different reasons than you have :)

View PostSteve10086, on 10 November 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

If this had been fantastic and everyone had loved it surely it wouldn't be closing?

My two favourite words in this situation are Spring Awakening. A production being fantastic does not mean it surely wouldn't be closing.

View PostSteve10086, on 10 November 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

A show can only be judged on its merits, not its newness or originalness or its Britishness.  Should we really be flocking to pay money for things we don't enjoy, just to "support" them?

I'm not saying people should return to shows they don't enjoy for the sake of it, however personally I'd be more inclined to try new work than visit established productions when they otherwise have the same appeal to me.

#123 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

I really enjoyed the show but think there are more pressing and interesting reasons to look at exactly why the show is closing.

1) Statistically 65% of the tickets sold for the West End are from tourists - non UK residents - this is stark contrast to 60% US residents buying tickets for Broadway,

2) Because of this we need to understand that the vast majority of ticket buyers will not have heard anything to do with the show, or in fact most new shows unless there is a hook - its funny that the last two big British based musicals are firmly routed in stories/films that are familiar and have managed to bridge the generation gap Billy Elliot and Matilda - Ghost has never been able to do this and is firmly a generational film.

3) Marketing - the front of house didn't appear for the show until the week before leaving the Garrick an empty shell from outside in, the Marquee/posters etc should have been put up the day after Chicago left the theatre - all the passing trade that was missed because of this shouldn't be underestimated.

4) This show was never right for the West End, it doesn't fit for the demographic and landscape of the West End, this show could have done a storming business on a mid-scale UK Tour and had a good run for a year, but producers still want to take the risk of putting brand new material in one of the most unsteady and unpredictable areas...its akin to putting a helium balloon through a forest of trees...occassionaly one will slip through and survive...the question is why would you play the heavily stacked against odds, instead of playing the hand that  is clearly going to see you get a return,

There are many other reasons, but sometime we can loose site that in the end theatre is a business and when bad decisions are made doors are closed, its the same in retail as in theatre yet somehow most people loose site of this!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#124 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

This will be doing the rounds in Am Dram for years I think, especially in schools... That seems to be the target audience for this musical anyway.

It is a great fun show, and now it's had its exposure in the West End. I'm sure we'll see a Samuel French edition coming out in the next few months!

Interestingly it comes down to the book not being great, something I thought was a weak point of Soho Cinders as well...

#125 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 10 November 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

I really enjoyed the show but think there are more pressing and interesting reasons to look at exactly why the show is closing.

1) Statistically 65% of the tickets sold for the West End are from tourists - non UK residents - this is stark contrast to 60% US residents buying tickets for Broadway,

2) Because of this we need to understand that the vast majority of ticket buyers will not have heard anything to do with the show, or in fact most new shows unless there is a hook - its funny that the last two big British based musicals are firmly routed in stories/films that are familiar and have managed to bridge the generation gap Billy Elliot and Matilda - Ghost has never been able to do this and is firmly a generational film.

3) Marketing - the front of house didn't appear for the show until the week before leaving the Garrick an empty shell from outside in, the Marquee/posters etc should have been put up the day after Chicago left the theatre - all the passing trade that was missed because of this shouldn't be underestimated.

4) This show was never right for the West End, it doesn't fit for the demographic and landscape of the West End, this show could have done a storming business on a mid-scale UK Tour and had a good run for a year, but producers still want to take the risk of putting brand new material in one of the most unsteady and unpredictable areas...its akin to putting a helium balloon through a forest of trees...occassionaly one will slip through and survive...the question is why would you play the heavily stacked against odds, instead of playing the hand that  is clearly going to see you get a return,

There are many other reasons, but sometime we can loose site that in the end theatre is a business and when bad decisions are made doors are closed, its the same in retail as in theatre yet somehow most people loose site of this!

Why don't you produce?

#126 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1251 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

It's funny, reading this thread after hearing the closure announcement. No one actually thought it was going to get a decent run! It's not like Spring Awakening, which the hard core raved about and won a fistful of awards but never quite found it's West End audience.

I will say, myself - as someone who enjoys musicals and tries to catch new ones - that I was barely even aware of it. I really have very little idea of what it is about, or why I should go and see it. The name didn't help, I think - 'Loserville' just doesn't scream happy, energetic Or feel good.

God knows how they thought they'd sell enough tickets to stay open!

#127 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 10 November 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

My two favourite words in this situation are Spring Awakening. A production being fantastic does not mean it surely wouldn't be closing.

OK then, but it takes more than 25 people in skinny jeans thinking a production is fantastic to stop it from closing.

#128 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

View PostJamiem, on 10 November 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

Why don't you produce?

He does!  Well, when he's not acting, directing or doing PR.

And I saw Loserville tonight, and enjoyed a lot about it.  The music was fine, performances were fine.  Most imaginative were all the props.  I do agree that the script felt like many other slightly bland high school films.

I must be the kiss of death, as Hair got their closing notices the night I went to see it too.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#129 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

I'll pay you to go and see Wicked ;) :ph34r:
Which way did he go McGill?

#130 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostJamiem, on 10 November 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

Why don't you produce?

As mentioned above - I do!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users