160 replies to this topic

#41 Bee

Bee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

Does anyone have any idea of how well this is selling?  You can't really tell from the booking website as it doesn't let you pick your own seat.  Hoping to go to a Weds matinee performance at the end of October but wondering whether to try to wait and see if there are some discounts / if it's on at the tkts booth after it opens.

#42 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

I would certainly wait.It certainly wasn't a sell-out in Leeds.

#43 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

For a mid week matinee go for the cheapest upper seat and youre bound to be upgraded.

#44 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

I enjoyed the show and have friends in the cast...but I was honest with them when I saw it in Leeds and said it would have done brilliantly if it had toured the regions, but I honestly think it will struggle to find an audience in the West End. I would be surprised if it doesn't post closing notices by February.

I really don't want to see the show fail as I think it has some excellent qualities...its far more enjoyable than Rock of Ages and its ilk, the cast are phenomenally talented and have energy to rival any show currently running. I just think in the current climate its not going to do too well, a shame really!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#45 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 29 September 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

I honestly think it will struggle to find an audience in the West End. I would be surprised if it doesn't post closing notices by February.

I really don't want to see the show fail as I think it has some excellent qualities, the cast are phenomenally talented and have energy to rival any show currently running. I just think in the current climate its not going to do too well, a shame really!

More or less what I thought, however I think this will close as fast as Spring Awakening did. I will be very surprised if this is still running at the end of the year. If you want to see it I would go sooner rather than later (you could always go again if I am proved wrong).
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#46 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'm looking forward to this, hoping to catch it during previews. But no, I don't see it lasting. They're really promoting well I think in terms of posters around London - I love the 'if you loved Grease', 'If you loved the IT Crowd' etc, and they do stand out - but I'm not sure if its marginalised marketing towards a younger crowd. And there's a lot of competition from new jukebox musicals coming up this quarter. So, no, I don't see it lasting but here's hoping its a runaway hit!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#47 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

This show has completely passed me by and the trailer isn't exactly thrilling - I've still no idea what it is about.
Yes it is well priced BUT whatever the price you still have to have the urge to see it. Unless it get GREAT reviews it is definatley going to struggle. There will be lots of offers for it I should think - so worth seeing for £20 or so but that will not be enough to keep it open.

#48 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

One thing to state is that it's not a jukebox musical - there are only two songs from the original Album Loserville from Son of Dork the rest of the soundtrack have been written to fit the show and sound like the original album!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#49 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

Timeout has an offer for top price preview tickets for half price, all dates up to Oct 20th, including Saturday nights.

http://uk-offers.tim...m_source=300912

Which would imply it's not selling too well, but could be a good way of building word of mouth.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#50 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

EP on Sunday gave a plot synopsis of this show and played a couple of tracks from this show today (Sun 30th Sept). About 25 mins from the end of the show. It will be on BBC IPlayer I am sure if anyone is interested. Sounded OK - would see it with a cheap ticket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users