160 replies to this topic

#51 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

I'm seeing it on Thursday - saw it in Leeds in July and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing how it's changed since, and especially how it's going to work in a slightly bigger differently-shaped theatre!
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#52 les mis lover

les mis lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostSam4God, on 30 September 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

I'm seeing it on Thursday - saw it in Leeds in July and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing how it's changed since, and especially how it's going to work in a slightly bigger differently-shaped theatre!

I would love to see that too. I particularly loved the setting in Leeds though.
Good luck to all involved in the show. They must all be nervous, a new show arriving in the West End.
Lets hope everyone gives them great support and helps make it a huge success.

#53 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Saw this tonight - I overheard the set designer saying there was still a major piece missing that would be in the show later in the week so can't fully judge the physical production, and please take all comments with a pinch of salt as it's first preview etc.

The cast is super energetic, the production (set, costumes etc) are fun, but this is basically a Disney Channel original movie on stage.  There are things I didn't like about the staging and book, but I don't think they really matter that much as it feels churlish to criticise the show for not being something else particularly when it's only first preview.  Other small issues can be chalked up to first preview.

I'm not the target audience for this (despite my embarrassing love of the first and third High School Musical films...) but I'm really not sure who is.

If there's plenty of discussion about the show in the run up to first night I'll post more about my issues with it, but I know EVERYONE reads these forums and I don't think it's fair on a show like this that isn't really terrible to dissect it straight after the first performance.

#54 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostDeNada, on 01 October 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

If there's plenty of discussion about the show in the run up to first night I'll post more about my issues with it, but I know EVERYONE reads these forums and I don't think it's fair on a show like this that isn't really terrible to dissect it straight after the first performance.

But it has already done a month worth of performances, and has been reviewed by the national press.

#55 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

View Postzyx123, on 02 October 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

But it has already done a month worth of performances, and has been reviewed by the national press.

Agreed - I was there last night and you could tell that it wasn't brand new, in a good way. I was most impressed by the set, design and overall running of the show. It was slick (aside from the odd cast member almost careering into a bit of moving set/falling over etc, but expected for a first night and this was only minimal) and well rehearsed. It definitely didn't feel like the first night of a brand new show... in terms of the production.

The plot is easy to follow, but has slightly more depth than the likes of Grease - and certainly more likeable, believable and realistic characters. It was easier to get invested in this show rather than Grease, which I think is the best thing to compare it to. OK, we haven't grown up with a film version of Loserville and don't already know all the songs, but its primary target audience - fans of Busted, McFly, Son of Dork, surely? - will know some of them, and the rest are so catchy that you feel like you already knew them by the time you left.

There was a great atmosphere last night, I'm sure lots of friends of the show/cast, but the audience seemed very supportive, which was nice to be a part of. Lots of cheers and a standing ovation at the end.

Positives:
-music (catchy, lively, uplifting)
-set (original use of comic book theme integrated into the whole show, cast coming on with set/props makes it feel dynamic and keeps the show moving)
-it's an original, new story... OK it won't win any Oscars, but it doesn't claim to be anything it's not. It's not a film or book adaptation, and for that I applaud it
-Aaron Sidwell... as the lead Michael Dork, he is sensitive, likeable, and carries the vocals better than anyone else in the cast
-overall energy of the show... as I said, it's uplifting, lively and finishing by 9.50pm, it's relatively short and snappy, so the show moves along nicely and doesn't drag on more than it needs to.

Negatives:
I don't want to say too much, as above it's only its first West End performance and it would seem a little unfair... but my biggest disappointment was the quality of the vocals last night. The drums were a little too loud, which drowned out the ensemble at times, and it was difficult to decipher the lyrics during Slacker and some of the faster songs. I'm not sure if some of the cast couldn't hear themselves properly but the overall quality was way, way below what I'd expect for a West End show and certainly what you'd expect if you're paying £50+ for a ticket - the first song of Act 2 in particular was a little painful. It wasn't just the odd bum note, but entire phrases completely off key, which was really disappointing. It's not up to the standard, in this respect, of 99% of the shows out there. Other than that, I think it is more than capable of holding its own. If the vocals had been up there with the quality of Ghost, WWRY etc, this show really would have blown me away.

I wonder if anyone who's seen it previously can comment on the vocals...?

#56 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 29 September 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

One thing to state is that it's not a jukebox musical - there are only two songs from the original Album Loserville from Son of Dork the rest of the soundtrack have been written to fit the show and sound like the original album!

Slacker
Sick
Holly, I'm the One
Ticket Outta Loserville
Little Things

They are all from the Son of Dork album ;) Slightly adapted, but 5 rather than 2 that I already knew :) But agree, there are about 60% new songs in there so definitely not jukebox.

#57 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostDeNada, on 01 October 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

The cast is super energetic, the production (set, costumes etc) are fun, but this is basically a Disney Channel original movie on stage.
I'm not the target audience for this (despite my embarrassing love of the first and third High School Musical films...) but I'm really not sure who is.

Super [abridged] summary.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#58 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

I saw it tonight from the stalls and thoroughly enjoyed it (though the Northern line's rumblings were an unfortunate addition). Overall, it has a very likable plot, a ridiculously catchy score and a cast who look as if they are all on some form of hyperactivity drug (in a good way).

It took a while for the production style to grow on me, all the boards being held as props etc - wonder how many times throughout the next few weeks will the wrong sign appear for a specific actor..

The biggest problem is the book, which seems to bounce merrily between a decent script and a pantomine-which-needs-a-bit-of-a-plot-to-get-to-the-next-song, however on the most part that didn't grate as it wasn't too long before another song turned up. Luckily, altering a few lines is much easier than writing an entirely new song so I hope they'll be able to iron some things out in the next few days.

So far as the lyrics go, I had no trouble understanding most of them - which is saying something as it's common for me to hardly catch any lyrics on a first outing to a musical. Certainly were no problems with the kit being too loud, in fact the only time I thought "I can't hear what they are singing" was during the big cast stuff in Ticket Outta Loserville.

I hope it finds an audience quickly, they've done a superb job in plastering London with posters. It is shamelessly unique in the current musical scene and certainly deserves to do well.

#59 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Does anyone have any comments on Charlotte Harwood? She's a very large part of the reason I want to see this!

#60 Colourarc

Colourarc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

I have to say Daniel has given a good description of the show although I only noticed the tubes in one very quiet bit of the show.
I went with my husband and kids, we all loved it & want to go again.

I really hope it finds it's audience, I think it deserves a good run. It's nice to see something fresh in the West End
nice. nice. nice. nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice. very nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users