160 replies to this topic

#71 samsam1985

samsam1985

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Worst show Ive ever seen since Too Close to the Sun.

#72 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

View Postsamsam1985, on 06 October 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

I agree that it isn't amazing and felt a bit amateurish but seen a lot worse. It was a funny (not necessarily in the way it intended to be) show and I can see it getting a following from younger people but have to agree with earlier posts that say they can't see it lasting too long with a reliance on that audience. It would do ok in small regional theatres on tour I think.

#73 samsam1985

samsam1985

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

The biggest joke is the marketing poster which says that "if you love Grease, youll love Loserville" Theyre not even remotely similar. Most misleading statement since Imagine This was described as a "masterpiece" !

#74 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

View Postsamsam1985, on 06 October 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Harsh! Most of the audience didn't leave at the interval like they usually did for TCTTS...

I agree it isn't a classic, but I thought it was fun, I liked the choreography and the cartoon cardboard sets/props & some of the boys especially were excellent.

I wouldn't write it off just yet.

#75 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

View Postsamsam1985, on 06 October 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

The biggest joke is the marketing poster which says that "if you love Grease, youll love Loserville" Theyre not even remotely similar. Most misleading statement since Imagine This was described as a "masterpiece" !

I can see the similarities with Grease - high school, a girl deciding what image she wants to project etc.

Although they... kind of abandon anything to do with high school quite quickly, when no-one seems to spend any time there any more.  And the garage with the computers in is somehow also the school computer lab.  And Holly is able to spend FOUR DAYS working in the basement of an electronics company without any kind of repercussions (never mind that Michael appears to have two jobs - Arch Systems AND the planetarium - as well as going to school).  None of this really matters much as it's not a show that anyone's going to see for the strength of its book, but it did have several moments when I thought the story was a little slapdash.

freckles, if there was one thing I really didn't like it was the choreography!  Aside from the opening of Act 2 (although Space Invaders references aren't period accurate...) and the "geek" party, it was mostly divorced from the storytelling - too often there were times when a soloist was down centre belting while the ensemble executes that enormously energetic choreography like backing dancers in a music video.

#76 MusicalBoy

MusicalBoy

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

^ Actually I really enjoyed the choreography, I thought it was innovative and energetic, perfect for this show, and you'd be surprised how far back the tradition of having the ensemble dance around a belting soloist goes (think Anything Goes!)

I really wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did, and while it does have some issues (oh, it has issues) namely some actresses coming in in the wrong keys and something of a rift between the style of the score and costume design and the show's 1971 setting, I think it's highly deserving of the west end, though perhaps more easily accepted by a younger generation (in which I include myself).

But, for the record, not being able to see the connection with Grease just seems deliberately obtuse, if this show is anything, it's an all singing, all dancing mixture of Grease, Glee and The Big Bang Theory.

#77 RC1972

RC1972

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

Saw the show last week , I liked it but it does need a little bit of work I may go back and see it again after previews

#78 yallerybrown

yallerybrown

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

It's not the greatest show in London, but come on, who thought it would be?  It sets itself up as something similar to Glee and Grease, and therefore I knew exactly what I was in for.  Don't take it too seriously, have a drink (or a few) before the show and just have a bit of fun.  Tickets were cheap so I didn't feel like I'd wasted money or time. It's a fun and quite funny show and you leave with that feel-good factor. I think you'll know whether you'll like it or not just by looking at the publicity.

#79 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

If you need to have a drink beforehand, and a cheap ticket, I can't see it making much of a profit.

#80 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostSeriously, on 14 October 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

If you need to have a drink beforehand, and a cheap ticket, I can't see it making much of a profit.

Personally, I wouldn't say you need either of those things... each to their own :)

But I agree, I can't see it making much (if anything) or indeed surviving for a decent run. I'd be interested to know how long contracts the company are on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users