46 replies to this topic

#1 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

The RSC has announced its Stratford-upon-Avon Summer 2013 season. The first show, The Winter's Tale, runs from 24 January - 23 February 2013. Are they f***ing mad?

www.rsc.org.uk/whats-on/stratford-13/

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

Very odd!

So, more repeats ...

Winters Tale and As You Like It were both done in the 2009/10 season with the "long ensemble".

Still, Titus, Alls Well that Ends Well and A Mad World My Masters look interesting. Don't think I'm going to bother renewing my membership though, there's not enough Jonathan Slinger superfans to make priority booking necessary ;)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Repeats. Lol

#4 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

I too have seen The Winters Tale and As You Like It from 2009, though I could always use the 16-25 discount to see them

It would be the first time I will see Titus Andronicus and Alls Well That Ends Well, though I could see the latter earlier thanks to the Globe Theatre Cinema Season.

I am more interested in the non-Shakespeare plays this time round. I am particularly looking forward to seeing The Life of Galileo in the winter season because of my increasing interest in Brecht.

Having seen The Homecoming, Twelfth Night and The Tempest I think Jonathan Slinger and David Farr are a great combination, and Hamlet is now one of my most anticipated productions in 2013
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

I thought "Alls Well ..." at the Globe was quite weak, particularly compared with the National's from a few years ago. So I'd recommend hanging on for this one. Looks like a WW2 setting if the poster is accurate!

I know I've whinged about this on previous season announcements, but the number of plays being redone from 2008, 9 and 10 when there are many they haven't done since the complete works season seems crazy.

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostDavid J, on 21 August 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

I am particularly looking forward to seeing The Life of Galileo in the winter season because of my increasing interest in Brecht.

The Life of Galileo in the Winter Season runs from 31 January - 30 March 2013, ending its run over a month after The Winter's Tale in the Summer Season of January and February, which is known to the rest of us as Winter.

#7 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Do we know yet who's playing Galileo?

#8 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

No announcement, but I think it's a legal requirement that Jonathan Slinger plays the lead in all new RSC productions

#9 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

I see the Slinger company is doing Hamlet, As You Like It and All's Well; another group is doing Titus, A Mad World and the Ravenhill Candide; and the Tanik Gupta directed by Emma Rice The Empress is a stand alone.  None of the directors is a must-see director in my view.  It all depends on casting.  Titus and A Mad World are the most interesting to me given how rarely they are done.

#10 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

Ken Campbell, bless him, were he still with us would come up with a fake memo to all staff from Michael Boyd saying that, henceforth, the RSC would now be known as the Royal Slinger Company. :D

Also tagged with RSC, Summer 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users