33 replies to this topic

#31 JKR

JKR

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:33 PM

*Some people at times really make me come out of hiding!*

Wow I think you have voiced that opinion very clear Gordina, but you fail to see the case that more people disliked this production than liked this production and it is their right to voice that opinion, everybody has critics that they like and dislike - it is not your job or my job to tell anybody how to do their Job.

If you dislike Michael Coveney as a reviewer don't read his reviews, as been said in the past -  find a reviewer whose style, and way of writing sits best with you, but it looks like that seems to be a foreign film critic - I know what its like to review theatre - I do it!... and sometimes just sometimes you get a week of press nights of unoriginal diatribe and piss poor performances that it can jar and make things bad - yes try and be critical with an open eye but you can only do that if your critical eye hasn't been blunted by some of the rubbish that actually manages to find funding and find a home on the stage!

Oh and many times, I have been of the same opinion as some critics about what they have seen in the theatre, other times I have radically disagreed what they have said, that is the unfalable nature of being human...and on that note I leave, and say to Gordina - let is rest, Life is far to precious to get worked up over a theatre critic!

#32 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

Oh boy.

*holds breath, dives in*

QUOTE(Gordina @ Apr 21 2009, 04:37 PM) View Post
As you might have read in my earlier posts, I hadn't met any of the cast before, let alone do I know the author or anybody from the production team... Why would it be "insulting" to you that I enjoyed the play?

It wouldn't be.  My point was that it would be insulting for me to suggest that the only way you could've enjoyed the play was if you were a friend of the cast, which is what you did when you wrote "just in case you're a critic" to me.  My point is that we can have differing opinions without needing to accuse the other side of being a spy.

I can see from Coveny's synopsis as you quoted it that he is setting out to give the play a negative review. There is more to the story than he says.

You're shifting the goal posts.  First you say he didn't say anything about the plot.  Now you're saying he did, but just not all of it.

Of course he doesn't give away the whole plot: he gives away the set up, the key characters and the key conflict.  That's what he's meant to do!  (And besides, it was the Time Out review I quoted, not Whatsonstage's).

Yet I do feel I have the right to voice my opinion that I disagree with his judgement and have enjoyed the play, alongside many other people. Other critics also have a right to give it a positive review as some, indeed, have done.

Yes.  Absolutely.  100% agreed.  My point is that you don't seem to honour the connection between words and meaning and furthermore seem to believe that anything that differs with your opinion amounts to character assassination.

#33 Joan

Joan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

Guest said:
I don't think there's anything below the belt in that review. I can't comment so much on Coveney's approach to particular scenes as I haven't seen the show.
More to the point on whether one should register or not. I think it does require one to actually see a production before criticizing it. If only from the view of knowing what is being talked about. But then, perhaps that is just me.

JKR said:
but you fail to see the case that more people disliked this production than liked this production and it is their right to voice that opinion.

You know more people disliked this production, than liked it, how? Did you take an exit poll or something?

Those who did dislike "The Murder Game" have every right to voice their opinion, but not as the only opinion that matters.

Those who found this play thoroughly entertaining have the same right to express their enjoyment. Without being held to account as to whether they are, part of the production, friends of the cast, or simply delusive, because their views do not fit in with preconceived ideas of what others think is a good play.

#34 Gordina

Gordina

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

Yes, guest, I have quoted from both reviews but I have mentionend who I was quoting. As I was posting, my thoughts spread to the wording of reviews in general. I didn't think Coveny's synopsis was quite to the point but, as has been mentioned by somebody else on this site, one thing he has done, unfortunately, is to give away the play's surprises so that, had I read the review before seeing the play, it would have spoilt all the gags because I would have known what's coming up next beforehand.
Something else that you quoted from Coveney: "outdated cultural stereotypes (the Brazilian lothario ...)". It has just crossed my mind that this isn't strictly true as Pito only pretends to be that kind of a person, and as his true identity is revealed, the stereotype vanishes.

Thanks, JKR, for showing up. I really appreciate the opinions of somebody who actually works in that field.

"... you fail to see the case that more people disliked this production than liked this production and it is their right to voice that opinion, everybody has critics that they like and dislike..."

I might argue that you probably don't know how many people who have seen the play liked it and thought it was funny. Maybe it's more a case of critics giving it mainly bad reviews. The audience seemed to have been more positive as I see from their posts on the internet.

"It is not your job or my job to tell anybody how to do their Job."

However, I am certain that as people voice their opinions on the internet about what they have seen, they will also discuss in what way they agree/disagree with the critic and what they think about his/her review. With the internet, critics no longer have that absolute position of power of decision on whether a play is worthwhile or not, and they may see their views challenged.

"and sometimes just sometimes you get a week of press nights of unoriginal diatribe and piss poor performances that it can jar and make things bad "

Okay, I appreciate that sometimes things may get a little rough blink.gif  biggrin.gif but it was you who chose this profession.

"yes try and be critical with an open eye but you can only do that if your critical eye hasn't been blunted by some of the rubbish that actually manages to find funding and find a home on the stage!"

I have seen lousy plays before, and I don't think this one was. It certainly contained a lot of humour.

Gordina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users