62 replies to this topic

#21 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Went this afternoon & really enjoyed it, but goodness the place was empty. Everyone was moved to the stalls and all other levels shut - and there was an obviously very large party included in that.

However, it was brilliantly done & the audience very warm & enthusiastic. Anna Jane Casy is spectacular, as you would expect.

If one wanted to get a cheap seat you may well be moved. Just sayin'.

#22 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

Bizarrely all three levels open on Monday night!  Seems like nobody wanted to go for the Wednesday matinee!

#23 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Oh, that's good to hear. They deserve good audiences.

#24 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

I went last night and really liked it. The theatre was packed and a lot of people gave it a standing O … it’s strange revisiting a show, especially after seeing and loving the original production. Thankfully I really liked the new production. The Jewish / Broadway song has gone which is a great shame as it’s so funny but I do wonder how many people got the joke in Hull!

Bonnie Langford was excellent and really is a shining star. Joe Pasquale was also very good, not brilliant though. I’m not sure who I would ideally want in the part.

My one criticism would be the diction could be better; quite a few words were lost. I thought the well-designed budget sets worked really well reminding me it’s not the budget that matters it’s the designer! - Hugh Durrant did a great job of walking in Tim Hatley’s footsteps. I missed a little of the opulence of the original especially in Camelot. This tiny version fills the Playhouse theatre really well – how did it fare in large venues on its tour?

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#25 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

When is the next cast change for this likely to be, or is it likely to close?  I'm moving to London soon and I'd really like to see it again, it's a fun evening, but Bonnie Langford was dreadful when I saw the tour a couple of years ago so I'd only go if she wasn't on.  Does her understudy do shows quite frequently, or on any kind of schedule?

#26 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

View Postposter J, on 18 July 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

When is the next cast change for this likely to be, or is it likely to close?  I'm moving to London soon and I'd really like to see it again, it's a fun evening, but Bonnie Langford was dreadful when I saw the tour a couple of years ago so I'd only go if she wasn't on.  Does her understudy do shows quite frequently, or on any kind of schedule?

Spamalot closes in November, I believe.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#27 sahunt

sahunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

I believe it is going back out on the road next year

#28 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

Wonder what's going to replace it? I imagine it'll another filler like Let it Be rather than a play.

#29 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Just announced that Spamalot has extended its run at The Playhouse Theatre until February 8th, 2014 and they've also announced that Michael Palin will be the next Celebrity God, appearing from Mon 26th - Sat 31st August 2013.

The part is via video only, but all Celebrity God's so far (excluding Bradley Walsh) have been there in person on their 'opening night' and have come onstage at the curtain call, so it may be a possibility for Monty Python fans to see a Python on the Monday - but no guarantee! Larry Lamb will assume the role of God from September 2nd 2013, apparently.

Anyway, great news about the extension. Such a brilliant show and their casting has been truly inspired recently! I just hope it's not one of those 'let's extend to see if people buy tickets and if they don't, well have to close' extensions. That would be sad. http://www.thestage...._source=twitter
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

#30 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Its a short extension of only three months which makes me think they're seeing how ticket sales go for that period, I imagine its cheap to run but clearly it must not been doing that well to only extend for a short period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users