36 replies to this topic

#1 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Seating plans available for this now - being done in traverse. Any thoughts on where might be a good place to sit? If you've already booked tickets, where have you been allocated?

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

I saw Tiger Country in the same configuration from the front row, and the stage was knee level- great view.

#3 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

Latecomer and I have been assigned row A (which, randomly, makes us part of the King's Party).  The layout looks quite similar to that for Chariots of Fire (just missing the single row on either side), and our seats almost identical to the seat I had for that, so if the stage height is also similar (roughly a foot above the floor), it should be perfect.

#4 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Don't sit in either 2nd row. No rake. Ask to be moved if you were allocated this at random. It's not terrible or anything, but not great.

Good show though!
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#5 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Just booked for this- wasn't going to, but then I saw how v little was playing on a Wednesday afternoon, the evening of which I'm seeing People at the NT. Still, should be good. Have loved Mark Gatiss in the past 2 things I've seen him in, and Howard Davies is a favourite director of mine.

When this Autumn's Hampstead season was announced, I originally was going to book for nothing. I'm now going/have gone to at least 2/3 of the main house shows....

#6 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

It's very good Pharaoh's number 2.  Hope you enjoy.  A little dense at first, but the debate at the heart of the play grows stronger and it turns into a political thriller of sorts.  Gatiss very good but the real star for me was Douglas Henshall.

Agree - avoid the second row on either side.  I'd say sit downstairs, three rows back or more.

#7 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

Good to hear, thanks! I'm row G downstairs I think, so the view should be great by the sounds of it.

#8 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

Enjoyed this without being completely wowed by it. There were an awful lot of men, marching about manfully,.....everywhere. And yet the play was actually at its most interesting when the women appeared, all too fleetingly. Left me with the feeling that there was a far more subtle play, about the women concerned, aching to get out!

Not sure about the costume choice...bit too obvious?

Loved Gatiss despite his rather here and there accent...and thought Henshall was very good.

Annoying staging for first row in the trial scene as they line people up in front of you....you end up peeping round the cast to see Charles!

Still, very enjoyable and glad I went...second half much stronger than first and never dull.

Great lunch, by the way, at http://www.belsizekitchen.co.uk/  about 5/10mins away. Splendid! Beth and I put the world to rights! Highly recommended!

#9 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

I felt Douglas Henshall was the strongest part of the play - his conflict and his desperate desire for peace were what drove the play along.  I was also interested in the plight of the prosecutor and his wife - I wish they'd had larger roles. The rest I had little if any sympathy for, whether it was hypocritical puritans or the blindly arrogant king, and that let the play down.  I wanted to feel more, and I just didn't, and so I wasn't gripped.  Though part of my first half torpor can be blamed on the delicious Eton Mess from the above linked Belsize Kitchen (I second the recommendation) - a large lunch before a matinee is not a good idea!  

I'm baffled by the auditorium configuration for this.  It didn't add to the production, and the parliamentary scenes could have been staged much more effectively by having benches of MPs at the back of a traditional stage, Charles to one side, the judge/prosecution on the other, and treating the audience as the rest of the MPs.

In summary, not bad, exactly, but rather disappointing.

#10 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Latecomer, can you have another crack at that link, I can't get it to work at my end.

Good point about the women.  You see so many male dominated plays like this.

By the way , this is covered in this next 'As Yet Unnamed London Theatre Podcast' along with The River and You Can Still Make A Killing.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users