#11 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

View Postdude-1981, on 28 October 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

Latecomer, can you have another crack at that link, I can't get it to work at my end.

Not Latecomer, but I had a tab open on the cafe website to see if they had their full lunch menu online (sadly no).  Hopefully this will work for you, dude-1981: http://www.belsizekitchen.co.uk/

#12 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

B) Thanks Beth!

#13 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostLatecomer, on 28 October 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

B) Thanks Beth!

Always happy to butt in! ;-)

#14 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I struggled with this. I felt there was a lot of build up but it just boiled over. There was an awkward moment at the end where people weren't sure whether that was the end so you got that awful hesitent applause.

Its strength is the performances (Henshall is fantastic and Gatiss gets the tone of Charles I completely right)  and its weakness is not really doing enough with them. The lawyer and his wife being prime examples and a real waste of Gerard Kyd as well.  I never thought I would say this but if anything it needed to be longer and I regret not buying a copy of the play because I would love to know how much was cut or if that was intended by Brenton.

#15 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostSnciole, on 30 October 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

I regret not buying a copy of the play because I would love to know how much was cut or if that was intended by Brenton.

Bit steep at 5 quid though?  Funny isn't it, if it was £4 I would likely have got it, but £5 just seems that bridge too far for me.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#16 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

View Postdude-1981, on 30 October 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

Bit steep at 5 quid though?  Funny isn't it, if it was £4 I would likely have got it, but £5 just seems that bridge too far for me.

Yes, especially as I would have had to buy a separate programme. It might appear cheap on Amazon but if I am doing a Michael Billington and resorting to the text to get something out of the play, something has gone awfully wrong.

#17 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostSnciole, on 30 October 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

I struggled with this. I felt there was a lot of build up but it just boiled over. There was an awkward moment at the end where people weren't sure whether that was the end so you got that awful hesitent applause.

It didn't help that it finished a good 10 minutes earlier than expected. I certainly wasn't sure it had ended when I saw it today. And that axe was certainly not fit for purpose.

#18 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Yes, it was hard work at times, particularly in the first half which was too long by about two scenes. But the second half perked up. I think it might have done with a bit of mucking about, you know, start at the end kind of thing like plays do these days. I liked the King, thought he got it absolutely right, spot on. But Cromwell, well, he looked like a chancer, a gangster even, Soprano- like slouching at the back of the conversation , then coming in with the decision. He didn't show what it was about the man that made him the leader. I didn't 'get' the modern dress thing. Like we are supposed to feel we are the Parliamentarians, are we? Or are they civil servants? And ....everso picky here...but in those days, they didn't all speak RP. The king was allowed a slight Scottish accent [ his dad had one but did Charles?] so why not allow the others to have regional accents showing that they were from all different parts of the land and different classes? It would have made the divisions between them more obvious and perhaps understandable. Here was an opportunity for all that RADA training to be used. Cromwell was a gentleman , not 'amost' one as Lady Anne says in the play, but he would have had his local accent.
I enjoyed the evening but left wondering what the writer wanted us to think. Does this play add anything to the usual debate - Wrong but Romantic, Right but Repulsive?

#19 CAA

CAA

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Sometimes I read the comments on forums and wonder why people bother going to theatre!

#20 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

What do you mean CAA?  Do you mean the critical comments?  It's like anything though isn't it. If I go to an art show which is something I only do once every few months, I'll come out & go 'that was a good show' and move on. But as we all go to the theatre quite a lot, we have naturally become more critical.

Doesn't mean we don't enjoy the vast majority of shows we go to.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users