#21 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostCAA, on 02 November 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Sometimes I read the comments on forums and wonder why people bother going to theatre!

Who, moi? [ as Miss Piggy might have said] Obviously...CAA...you don't understand.

#22 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

I have a ticket for this tomorrow, can't use it. Stalls. Anyone interested? Sold out for the entire run I believe.

Matinee I should add.

#23 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Saw this tonight and loved it to bits! But then I already knew all the history, so it didn't feel as 'dense' or 'hard work' as I suspect it might to many - including half of my row, which left at intermission.

For me, though, it was great. Henshall and Gatiss both gave incredible performances - and Gatiss was eerily close to being the spitting image of Charles! - and I loved how the production didn't feel like it was trying to force me to sympathise with one side or the other. And the added scene between Cromwell and Charles was excellent, their characters crashing against each other, unyielding and stalwart.

I agree with above commenters that the women were first-rate, and I also liked John Cooke a lot.

#24 Portugal1000

Portugal1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Saw the matinee today and we loved it. Agree Hendhall and Gattis were fantastic. Wanted to stand up and cheer when Henshall giving speech about how great is was to be in England!! My husband doesn't go to the theatre often, his last three shows were Hamlet ( Young Vic,) Three Days in May and Frankenstein and he thought this was far superior to all of those. It's a shame it won't get to be seen by more people, unless transferring but haven't read anything about that. There were atleast 10 empty seats so worth checking for returns.

#25 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostPortugal1000, on 24 November 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

Saw the matinee today and we loved it. Agree Hendhall and Gattis were fantastic. Wanted to stand up and cheer when Henshall giving speech about how great is was to be in England!! My husband doesn't go to the theatre often, his last three shows were Hamlet ( Young Vic,) Three Days in May and Frankenstein and he thought this was far superior to all of those. It's a shame it won't get to be seen by more people, unless transferring but haven't read anything about that. There were atleast 10 empty seats so worth checking for returns.

Sadly it finished tonight, so no more returns or seats of any kind. I'd thought of trying for a return today to see it again, but came down with a fever and couldn't. Gutted to hear that there were so many empty seats I could have had. :(  I'm glad you and your husband liked it! It really was a treat.

#26 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

I was also at the matinee and amazed to see so many empty seats, especially as I'd been hoping to move on discovering, to my horror, that the rear row consisted not of the normal seats but stools.  Think I saw Richard Jenkins in the audience - anyone else notice?

#27 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Did anyone else have a prob with half the audience crunching throughout on the bloody popcorn the theatre sells, or did I just have a bad night? I fancy booking for more stuff at the Hampstead but it's put me off a bit!

Agree that what I heard of 55 Days between all the noshing was really absorbing and well acted; would be great if it transferred.

#28 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Yes, really enjoyed this and it certainly deserves a life beyond this run. Not sure how Gattis' workload is - he is presumably working on Sherlock and I think he's doing a Doctor Who-related project too.

Loved the modern-dress aspect - counter-intuitively, updating it made it feel more "Shakespearean" if that makes any sense (I mean, because if there was a 17th Century play about this, it would probably now be done in modern dress, but a modern play about it would be more likely to be done in period dress)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#29 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostAbby, on 25 November 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Did anyone else have a prob with half the audience crunching throughout on the bloody popcorn the theatre sells, or did I just have a bad night? I fancy booking for more stuff at the Hampstead but it's put me off a bit!

Agree that what I heard of 55 Days between all the noshing was really absorbing and well acted; would be great if it transferred.

Think it was the night - the night I went you could have heard a pin drop, it was that quiet.

Although someone told me (I think Gatiss tweeted about it?) that one night they had a group booking of 200 schoolchildren and it was incredibly raucous (with one young boy even wandering across the stage in search of the loo at one point during the play). Quite glad I wasn't there that night!

#30 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Shudder. Doesn't seem like obvious school trip material to me but perhaps I'm underestimating the little tykes...!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users