#151 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Boq can also be played by a name!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#152 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 22 November 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

Boq can also be played by a name!

Good point, had completely forgotten about him.

#153 Anthony87

Anthony87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

When I was working for ATG we were all given a manifesto for a two year strategy plan. Within this plan was adding premium seating to the bigger shows ( we agreed up on a £7.50 increase on plays and up to £15 on the musicals) The producers agree to this but don't pick the prices.

#154 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Anthony - The producers do pick the prices. I know as I am currently producing a show in ATG venues! Venues have their recommended prices but the producers have every right to say yes or no to them and or set their own prices and where those seats are and if any of the normal price seats should then be reallocated to premium seats.
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#155 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

to be honest you both are right.

atg have to a say as the simple fact is fhe same show in non atg venues can be cheaper with no.premium

#156 aimeeleslee

aimeeleslee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 22 November 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Yes, as Fiyero has never been ruined by bad acting or a poor vocal in London, has it? :P

Morrible is the obvious one, you can cut the singing from that role and still make it work.

more reason to cast an actor as Fiyero, it doesn't need to continue to be ruined as a part.

#157 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

View Postaimeeleslee, on 26 November 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

more reason to cast an actor as Fiyero, it doesn't need to continue to be ruined as a part.

You can look at it both ways.

Personally, the tour audience is unlikely to have seen the London production, thus have very little to compare any performance to. Therefore you can just about get away with plonking a prize chimp in the role, so long as they can dance and have a reasonable singing voice (acting, as we know, is negotiable). Disclaimer: I am not suggesting any previous actor who has played Fiyero is an ape (homo sapiens exempt), however some have struggled with the basics of acting..

The other way of looking at it is "audience have been in theatre before so are unlikely to be wowed by that in itself, so the production needs good names to get people back in". In my eyes, that argument is weaker - the musical has enough going for it to enforce that "wow factor" and can afford an iffy actor or two if they boost the audience significantly.

In the ideal world, nothing would be stunt cast. However, we far from live in that world.

#158 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Major rumours and I repeat RUMOURS on twitter that Kerry could be tour Elphaba as she apparently has some 'big news' to announce on friday. Thoughts? Would they even cast this early? Maybe if they know they want a particular actress they would, but I personally would rather it was someone brand new.

#159 Mallow

Mallow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I really hope it isnt Kerry. The last time I saw her as Elphaba before she finished she looked horrendously bored.

#160 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

View PostMusicals1248, on 28 November 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Major rumours and I repeat RUMOURS on twitter that Kerry could be tour Elphaba as she apparently has some 'big news' to announce on friday. Thoughts? Would they even cast this early? Maybe if they know they want a particular actress they would, but I personally would rather it was someone brand new.

I loved her as Elphaba, but that was 4 years ago, and didn't she have a lot of vocal and momentum issues towards the end of her run?  I hope she's not going to be the tour Elphaba, in my opinion if it's not going to be Rachel it should be someone new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users