654 replies to this topic

#191 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

I think it would be unlikely for Rachel to go on tour after having her baby.  Even if it is just for the Irish dates , considering that would be over Christmas.

I think I would then personally see a new Elphaba/Glinda for the tour, it would just be a more fresh take on the characters compared to those who have already played them...I'm sure there are plenty of others who would be perfect for it.

And I agree with poster J, given the fact that she is becoming more recognised because of the Les Mis movie, Sam Barks will probably be a strong contender for Elphaba.
LONDON
[2004 ]   Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010]     Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011]     Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013]     The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#192 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'd love to see Sam Barks as Elphaba. :D I've not booked any tickets for the tour yet, going to wait for more dates.

#193 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Caissie Levy back in the UK?
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
APRIL: Ghost on Tour Cardiff x6, Ghost on Tour Wimbledon x1
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2
DECEMBER: Ghost Birmingham x3

#194 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I think I'm going to wait for a casting announcement before I book - if the cast isn't great, then I'll just go to the London production again sometime instead!  It'll need to be a really good cast for me to book the tour anytime soon.

#195 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Do you think Sam barks is vocally string enough to sing the role? And eight times a week? Her profile may be big but it's just for les Mis, and eponine is not a big sing? I'd want someone with a raw exciting voice instead of classical Musical theatre legit. Even in Oliver she's very musical theatre.

#196 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I meant strong!

#197 Mallow

Mallow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think Elphaba needs to be as you say " classically musical theatre legit " It's a massive role vocally, you just have to look at some of the previous actresses who've played the role that couldn't handle it to see how close they came to ruining their voices.

#198 daniel.

daniel.

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Personally I would love to see Nikki Davis Jones get the role.  She has experience with the part, was (generally) very popular and by the time the tour launches will have more leading experience from Lift and Rent.

#199 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I think if she wants it Nikki Davis jones would be a definite for at least the tour elphaba if not town. She's proved in her time away from Wicked that she's not just a reliable cover she's also a strong lead.

#200 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Postharveyjnr, on 09 January 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Do you think Sam barks is vocally string enough to sing the role? And eight times a week? Her profile may be big but it's just for les Mis, and eponine is not a big sing? I'd want someone with a raw exciting voice instead of classical Musical theatre legit. Even in Oliver she's very musical theatre.

Yes, I do, although how much of that is bias from me being a long-term fan I don't know.  She certainly sounds a lot stronger now than she ever did on I'd Do Anything, and I saw her in the tour of Cabaret years ago and thought she'd be a good Elphaba then.  Plus she certainly doesn't sound classic musical theatre in what I've heard of the Les Mis movie.

I don't think classical music theatre is something to look down upon anyway.  I'd rather have someone who can sing the role well than have someone picked just because they've got a bit more of an unusual voice.  Most of the Elphabas in London have been classic musical theatre anyway, and so are pretty much all of the people who've been mentioned in this thread as picks for the role, including the likes of Caisse Levy, Sabrina Aloueche and Nikki Davis-Jones.  

I don't agree that Nikki would be a definite for the role though - a possibility, of course, but not someone who'd immediately jump above any others.  Standbys are fan favourites, but virtually unknown to the general public, whereas if they want a bit more advertising pull, Caissie could be billed as a Broadway star and Sam as a movie star...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users