654 replies to this topic

#221 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Interesting choice, given Milton Keynes' proximity to London. If the cast interests me, I might go see it.

#222 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I always make group bookings, and to be honest, this has been a hard sell. Where I normally average 40 - 50 tickets (ie have 50 people seeing Priscilla in Manchester next week), I only managed 10 for Wicked. It seems that all who are interested have already been to see this in London. I've no doubt ticket sales will take off nearer the time but it would seem like the initial popularity has been over estimated.

#223 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I dont think distance to London makes too much difference as the same could be said for so many shows previously.  I think its good its doing a month there and no longer but even a month seems quite long.  People (usually its fans) do overestimate how popular (well known) Wicked is to the general theatre going public.

#224 Warmington

Warmington

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Phantom was at Milton Keynes for a month and that sold really well so yes I don't think the distance from London makes any difference.  Personally I would rather travel to London (30 mins by train) for the prices they were charging.

#225 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

I just thought they'd hit the big cities (Birmingham, Leeds, Bristol etc) first. Drum up press before going for somewhere a bit smaller and with transport than runs late enough that they can go to theatre in London.

#226 Warmington

Warmington

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well according to the blurb Milton Keynes is the most successful theatre outside London's West End.  I'm not sure if that means attendance figures, but that could be a reason?

#227 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

You could argue Birmingham isnt that far away on the fast trains (little over an hour).

They have to schedule the tour where theatres have space. They cant just go "well lets go to all big further away venues first then we will move closer to London".  The individual theatres will also have a program of shows they want to schedule and in a certain order. For example they would try to avoid having a big family musical immediately follow panto.  Obviously its not always possible but theatres will have their own ideas about what they want and when

#228 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostWarmington, on 14 February 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Well according to the blurb Milton Keynes is the most successful theatre outside London's West End.  I'm not sure if that means attendance figures, but that could be a reason?

Really? Wow, didn't realise it was that big a place.

View PostTitan, on 14 February 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

You could argue Birmingham isnt that far away on the fast trains (little over an hour).

They have to schedule the tour where theatres have space. They cant just go "well lets go to all big further away venues first then we will move closer to London".  The individual theatres will also have a program of shows they want to schedule and in a certain order. For example they would try to avoid having a big family musical immediately follow panto.  Obviously its not always possible but theatres will have their own ideas about what they want and when

True, but the last train from Birmingham to London is at 10, so no chance of catching a show. From Milton Keynes it is almost midnight before the last train.

I realise what you are saying about having to fit the theatre's schedule. Maybe I was naive in thinking that a show of Wicked's stature would be booking it's tour far enough in advance that it would pretty much have it's pick.

#229 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

its been booking for ages but so are all the other shows and there are lots of big shows touring and planning to tour. its a great time for regional theatres.

#230 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

I can't decide if I want to book for the tour or not. I think I'm going to wait to hear about the casting for Elphaba and Glinda so I'll probably be putting it off for a while?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users