654 replies to this topic

#421 JAD

JAD

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

View Postjamescrispy94, on 07 June 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Sounds like a good cast and worth seeing. I hope they haven't hiked up the ticket prices.

#422 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

View Postposter J, on 08 June 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

How do they do the ending then if they don't have a trap door?  The bit when Fiyero returns for Elphaba after Glinda's left thinking she's been melted.

Apparently they have a well. I've not actually seen a touring production, just going on what I've heard, but yeah apparently Elphaba pops up out of a well.

Does sound a bit tacky, personally.

#423 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

I don't know if it still does, but the initial dates for the 1NT or wicked in the US were all at big theatres with trap doors and they were used, but as it has been running longer and going to smaller venues that may have had to change now! And the 2NT may well use the well, but if all the theatres have a trap door I am pretty sure they will use it!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#424 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

View PostTR252, on 08 June 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Apparently they have a well. I've not actually seen a touring production, just going on what I've heard, but yeah apparently Elphaba pops up out of a well.

Does sound a bit tacky, personally.

How does that even work with the fact that the shadow has to show her supposedly melting?!  Sounds like a mess to me.  I'll be interested to hear from people who go to early tour dates what happens, I'm certainly not booking tickets at the minute!

#425 daniel.

daniel.

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:17 AM

I know for a fact that Birmingham Hippodrome's new stage doesn't have any trapdoors in it...as for the other venues I don't know but it certainly will be interesting to see how they do it.  How much do we think the set in general will be simplified compared to London?

#426 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

The show has been touring the US for a number of years, I guess they would have worked out how to get around making aspects of the show tourable without decreasing the overall quality of the show. i imagine they'll either use an existing touring set or build a new one that they can use for a future production.

#427 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

Check out these threads from Broadwayworld discussing the changes between Broadway and the two US tours. Im hoping the UK tour will be based on the 1st NAtional tour production and not the 2nd NAtional Tour

http://broadwayworld...&thread=1048189

http://broadwayworld...1046304#4285620

#428 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

I should point out that the London production is based on the 1NT (except for elphaba rising out the stage for NGD), so if it were to be scaled back for the uk tour they would probably so the 2NT, but I don't think they will scale it back, as they will probably be using the Dutch set, as that is easy for them to transport here, which I believe is pretty much identical to the London production! And there would just be a few changes from venue to venue to fit the theatre.
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#429 SSB

SSB

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

The scale and technicality of this tour virtually guarantees that they will make no sacrifices to the production. They will have spent a fortune on the tour so if the set design requires a trap door, then every venue will have a trap door put into it. Trap doors are a minor technicality compared to the rest of the requirements for a show like Wicked.

#430 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

if they have done without a trap door on all us tours and have cut one actor from the cast i wouldnt be surprised if a trapdoor is cut on uk tour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users