#61 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE(Ian @ Mar 16 2007, 08:21 PM) View Post
Unfortunately there is no such thing. The light from the screen is distracting to those around and above. A cough is largely involuntary, checking a mobile is not.

The instruction from theatres is to turn OFF mobile phones, not put them on silent, not be discreet, but turn them OFF.

Can I add my vote to the anti-mobile lobby? There are many jobs where you may not use a mobile phone. They are banned in the chambers of both Houses of Parliament and were yours to ring in a recording session you'd be very lucky to be asked back. Common courtesy and a sense of what public performances of plays and music should involve are just the starting points for why phones shouldn't be used in theatres.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#62 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:07 AM

I assume the 'I must have my mobile phone on at all times in case there's a major emergency' brigade refuse to travel by tube in case they are out of contact for 20 minutes.

#63 ianianian

ianianian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 17 2007, 07:07 AM) View Post
I assume the 'I must have my mobile phone on at all times in case there's a major emergency' brigade refuse to travel by tube in case they are out of contact for 20 minutes.

Unfortunately it was in the papers this week (Thursday I think) that trials are to begin on the Waterloo & City line in to making mobiles work on the tube - with mini base stations on the platforms and in the train itself. I should imagine that by 2012 there will be full mobile phone coverage on all tube lines; there already is throughout the running tunnels of the Heathrow Express.

Soon there'll be nowhere to escape to, except maybe deep underground theatres like the Criterion!

#64 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(ianianian @ Mar 17 2007, 12:48 PM) View Post
Soon there'll be nowhere to escape to, except maybe deep underground theatres like the Criterion!

On the old thread about the sell-off of the radio-mic frequencies there was more than a little discussion of how theatres could continue to use their old radio mic equipment so long as they erected some sort of (is it Faraday?) cage enclosing the auditorium in some electromagnetic shielding. If such a shield had the unintended effect of accidentally jamming mobile phone signals would the theatre still fall foul of the law?
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#65 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(Orchestrator @ Mar 17 2007, 07:56 PM) View Post
On the old thread about the sell-off of the radio-mic frequencies there was more than a little discussion of how theatres could continue to use their old radio mic equipment so long as they erected some sort of (is it Faraday?) cage enclosing the auditorium in some electromagnetic shielding. If such a shield had the unintended effect of accidentally jamming mobile phone signals would the theatre still fall foul of the law?

Yes. It's forbidden to interfere with the reception of radio signals, whether accidental or otherwise.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#66 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:34 PM

As I understand there is an important difference between blocking and jamming. If for instance a venue were lined in lead and a signal were impossible to obtain, then that would not be illegal because the signal itself would not be jammed electronically merely blocked by a structure. If a physical barrier to mobile phone reception were illegal then owners of underground carparks could be prosecuted!

#67 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

I've finally got around to reading this thread properly and I am rather stunned.  I am genuinely finding it difficult to believe that any typically developed adult would attempt to argue that they cannot possibly turn their phone off in case they need to be contacted about their family.  (I'm distinguishing between mobiles for general use and pagers for emergency work use here.)  I trust anyone who holds that view doesn't work or drive a car (of course the total ban has come in since the thread started).  Jan mentioned teachers and actors and I've been trying to go through other jobs to see where you could work if you had to have your mobile on at all times.  Certainly not front of house in a theatre, or as a lawyer (mobile phones going off in court constitutes contempt), and I can't remember the last time I saw a mobile phone at a supermarket checkout, or carried by staff in my local Primark, and my PA friends certainly can't take their phones into meetings that are at least as long as half a show.  I could go on but you get the picture.  I started off thinking that spending money on blocking phone signals was disproportionate but if there really are people out there who won't turn them off even when reminded to do so then I may have to have a rethink.  I'm inclined to think it was just trolling to get the board moving though, in which case well done.

#68 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

Theatre staff should be entitled to remove a anyone holding a conversation during a performance, just as they would be if it were a drunk or any other troublemaker disrupting a performance. Failure on the part of the perpetrator(s) to leave should constitute calling the police and an arrest made.

I watched a thriller serial on ITV last night and in a scene where a silly bitch was causing aggravation to all the other travellers in a train compartment (haven't we all suffered that time after time!), with her loud inane telephone conversation, was shot in the head. If only!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users