3 replies to this topic

#1 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

This is one of my favourite plays and Cheek by Jowl are touring a new production in French next year (UK dates are WAC, Coventry in Jan, Oxford Playhouse in Feb, Barbican in Apr). I've only seen English language CbJ up to now, avoiding their Russian and French because I don't like word-heavy plays where I don't understand the language. However, I'm tempted by this because Ubu Roi could be wilder and freer than most classic plays and I've seen other versions, including ATC's with Sue Colverd as Ma Ubu in the Oxford Union chamber over 30 years ago.

I wondered if any of you have seen any French or Russian CbJ plays and how you found the experience.

#2 Theatrebunny

Theatrebunny

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

I was lucky enough to see one of their Russian plays in Manchester a few years ago and I must say it was excellent; wonderful design and engaging performances. They used sub -titles/sur-titles and although they were quite easy to read at the same time as watching the action, as it was Twelfth Night and I already knew the story I didn't really look at them, so maybe just re-read the play again before going. Cheek by Jowl seem to do this stuff with such style that I reckon you'll be pleased you went.  Hope that helps.

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for that reassurance, Theatrebunny!

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2099 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

I agree with theatre bunny - their Russian tempest last year was the best production of it I've ever seen
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

Also tagged with Cheek by Jowl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users