Caz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, walking around London

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

HI

I saw "Scrooge" with Tommy Steele when it was at Wimbledon Theatre last year, l have to say it was the Albert Finney version, word for word, which l love in the film but not with Tommy Steele! just my opinion!

Best wishes
Caz

#12 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

I saw this last night and was rather underwhelmed.

There was nothing terribly wrong with it, I just found it dull & a bit boring. The story is told very straight & traditionally with very little humour, the songs are all pretty dreary (with the odd exception) and the staging & choreography seemed very safe & uninspired.

Tommy Steele however, was very good & most of the audience was there to see him, I think. I was amazed at the warmth of the applause at bows & a standing ovation after such a drab show, but I'm sure that it was all for him.

Maybe it is too early but I expected to leave feeling all christmassy, & didn't!

Had a chuckle though at the moment when Scrooge disguises himself as Santa to hand out gifts & adopted a fake northern accent...unfortunately he sounded rather like Jimmy Savile!

I'll be interested to hear what others think...

#13 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

I saw it in Birmingham and thought it was brilliant, definately the best Kenwright touring show I've seen (but then again I am yet to watch Blood Brothers tonight!) and it's fantastic Christmas entertainment, the illusions are just amazing!

But I understand it might be getting a little tired now especially with Steele in the role, but I don't think it should keep coming back to the Palladium. I don't know how much this run has sold or how full the theatres been so far but I can imagine not as much.

Does anyone know what differences there are between this production and the very first with Anthony Newley at the Alexandra Birmingham/Dominion?

#14 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

It was about as expected.
Tommy Steele still has more voice left than others his age. Bob Cratchit and the soup guy were very good.

My main complaint is how healthy and well dressed the Cratchit kids were.

The stalls were about 2/3 filled and i dont think any other levels were open, its much too early for a christmas show and I'm sure it will do better in december.

I didnt get a programme, and didnt remember seeing any, there were people selling drinks in the auditorium before the show but not programmes.

#15 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Anyone go to the press night tonight ?

#16 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

1 star from the Guardian, which pretty much hated it.

#17 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Sounds like the tour version then. Shame. Could be so good...

#18 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

But I thought the tour version was from the old Paladium show.

#19 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

http://www.lastminut...tID=918392535-1

lastminute.com are doing a 24 hour sale for today (Thursday 8th), top price tickets for most performances from £10.

#20 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Think it's avg 50% tickets sales.. Although it does have another 7weeks before Christmas..  

I think it's good that a show like this is in the west end.. Honest old school show..!!

Reviews haven't been great.  But sod it!!! Can those reviewers act/dance and sing at 76yrs ! I doubt they'll make it to that age.. Haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users