47 replies to this topic

#11 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

While I agree with fringefan that not a lot actually happens, I don't think it needed momentous events to make it work.  For me, it was the little character glimpses that made it so wonderful, along with the perfectly timed wit.  And those glimpses were so effective because of the perfect casting - I couldn't imagine a better cast for any of the characters.

Particular praise should go to the lighting designer too - we went from the dim interior of an English hotel to the warmth of Naples, and there was a nice use of lighting to show the passing of time within a scene.

#12 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2534 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

If Fringefan is keen on a lot happening, I suggest she catches up with last week's Hollyoaks where A LOT happened. The British penal system may have lost Abu Hamza this week but it must be trembling at its gain of Mercedes Fisher (nee McQueen),

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

Xmas gift to fringe fan: tix for Waiting for Godot.

#14 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

I don't think it needed monumentous occasions to make it work and didn't mind that nothing much happened, I just wish less nothing had happened - there came a point in both acts where I thought it had said all it had to say but insisted on limping on without much to add to the overall piece.  A good edit wouldn't have gone amiss.  Agree on the perfect casting too - I saw Freddie Fox in Hay Fever before this, and can now confirm I'm a little bit in love with him.  Everett superb too.  It felt a bit like a superb staging of a merely good play.  But that might just be me.

#15 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Transfers to the Duke of Yorks theatre

#16 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3756 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

January, after Constellations?

#17 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2534 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Or in a double bill with a raffle in the interval?

#18 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

This has now transferred to the west end. Any news on day seats ?

#19 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

They've put the front row on sale at £45, which is a bit steep considering that they are normally the ultra cheap day seats, but we nabbed two last night and the view is great, especially for those of you that can fully embrace the Wildean experience and appreciate the beauty of naked young men, of which there are couple of wonderful examples. Seriously though, I honestly thought Everett was incredible, as good as Mark Rylance in Jerusalem. It struck me as one of those once in a blue moon performances. I hope he can capitalise on it, he seems to have a history of following each success with a fallow period. Full ravedom on the blog http://www.frontrowd...ks-theatre.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#20 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Looking forward to seeing this as I've seen Freddie Fox a few times over the last 24 months and think he's a wonderful actor that just keeps getting better. Shame there's no day seats, but I suspect offers will ultimately make up for that.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

Also tagged with Hampstead, David Hare, Rupert & Freddie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users