47 replies to this topic

#41 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info, Polly! It's hard to imagine a more graphic production than this one, but it sounds like the Neeson one was. The opening for Everett's is definitely graphic but short, and Bosie in the second half has a sheet and then a towel (so not completely naked as you remember Hollander being). Only the Italian fisherman is blithely unconcerned (at length).

I wonder why more people haven't been comparing this production with Neeson's? Not for the nudity, lol, but for the acting. It's hard to imagine Neeson as Wilde, but that doesn't mean I'm doubting he could carry it off. How long ago was it?

#42 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

"Only the Italian Fisherman is blithely unconcerned (at length)."

I'm guessing the length is his reason for blithe unconcern.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#43 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

View Postexuberantlyblue, on 23 March 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

Thanks for the info, Polly! It's hard to imagine a more graphic production than this one, but it sounds like the Neeson one was. The opening for Everett's is definitely graphic but short, and Bosie in the second half has a sheet and then a towel (so not completely naked as you remember Hollander being). Only the Italian fisherman is blithely unconcerned (at length).

I wonder why more people haven't been comparing this production with Neeson's? Not for the nudity, lol, but for the acting. It's hard to imagine Neeson as Wilde, but that doesn't mean I'm doubting he could carry it off. How long ago was it?

I was amazed at how this production seems like a completely different play. Neeson production was slow and slow and then again slow. I saw the Neeson twice - don't ask.

#44 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostLynette, on 23 March 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

I was amazed at how this production seems like a completely different play. Neeson production was slow and slow and then again slow. I saw the Neeson twice - don't ask.
  Twice? Wow, the Italian fisherman must have been a real babe in that one!

#45 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Nah sadly.

#46 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostPolly1, on 23 March 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

it's puzzled me a bit that people are talking about this being an 'undiscovered' classic as I thought it was quite well received last time out.

Well as our old chum Dilly has pointed out, a new play is only good if BOTH Mike Billington and Chas Spencer say it is and first time round they didn't.

#47 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Those who want to try before they buy will want to check out this video  http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-21644382

#48 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Ooh, thanks, armadillo! I'm sure that'll be helpful to people. xD I'm amused at how non-Italian the "Italian fisherman" is. Tom Colley laughing at how he takes his bow clothed after having spent 95% of his time on stage fully nude also made me giggle.

Also tagged with Hampstead, David Hare, Rupert & Freddie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users