27 replies to this topic

#1 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

All female Julius Ceasar with Frances Barber and Harriet Walter, directed by Phyllida Lloyd

Trelawny of the Wells directed by Joe Wright

The Weir directed by Josie Rourke

All sounds good!

And a new ticketing policy ...

"two thirds of venue's front row seats across both the stalls and circle be held back for all performances, and put on sale every Monday for the week of performances two weeks later. These tickets are priced at £10 only, with no booking fee."

... which also sounds fairly sensible, although none of the recent shows have actually sold out!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Sounds great (the season that is). Though with these front row seats in the stalls being held back, does that mean fewer seats for members (of which I am not one)? I'll see all of them, definitely. I was considering catching the RSC Caesar next week, but maybe I should hold on and just see this one. Any thoughts?

#3 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Will there still be dayseats?
Sounds strange to me and yes a bit unfair to members who usually get the best choice of seats.

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

There's more details in The Stage. The scheme is sponsored by Barclays (doing a travelex!)

This is instead of day seats but yes, will mean fewer tickets for members (30 I assume since there are 10 day seats)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#5 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Well, that puts paid to the Winslet rumours, unless Joe Wright can persuade her to swap Hare for Pinero and give us her Rose Trelawny. It might suit her rather well.

#6 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

No point at all of being a member of their expensive priority booking scheme then (I'm not).

The Julius Caesar just sounds like a gimmick.

I bet I'm the only person here who saw Joe Wright's only previous production as a theatre director - "A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings" at the Little Angel theatre. Not bad.

#7 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

I think the new seating scheme is daft.

If something is popular the phone lines will be in melt down every Monday! At least with day tickets you know exactly where you are....he/she who puts on the effort (yes, that's you Weez) gets the tickets. How will they sort this out exactly? Come Monday morning do they prioritise people who are standing outside or phone bookers or on-line. IT MAKES NO SENSE! And what about people who work on a Monday?

Plus usually the cheap seats are at the front as the risk you take is a slightly restricted view. At the Donmar this is not the case....

I shall probably still go but why do they have to make it needlessly complicated.....and invent a system that probably won't work....

#8 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

It's The River all over again... albeit 2 weeks in advance!

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Another question: do I continue getting my trusty £10 row B side circle (slightly restricted, mainly due to poor blocking, but good value nonetheless) or wait 'til Monday morning and try and get £10 stalls front row for the same amount (or maybe less, cos of the "no booking fee", kindly sponsored by Barclays)????!!!

#10 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

All the Circle seats at the Donmar are at least partially restricted view, even in the front row you spend half your time peering through the railings. I see they are going to continue the standing room tickets on a day-of-show basis, so that's something.

As to the season, no thanks to an all-female Julius Caesar despite the presence of Claire Dunne - playing a woman.  But yes to Trelawny, one of my favorite plays.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users