#11 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 03 September 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

I was considering catching the RSC Caesar next week, but maybe I should hold on and just see this one.
From the looks of it the Donmar production is either going to be a gimmick, as Epicoene said, or it is part of the directors interpretation of the play, in comparison to the RSC's production which relies on the acting and direction despite the change of scenery. That acting and direction however brought vibrancy to the play and I think you will be doing yourself a disservice by not seeing it.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#12 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

View Postyoung offender, on 03 September 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

Well, that puts paid to the Winslet rumours, unless Joe Wright can persuade her to swap Hare for Pinero and give us her Rose Trelawny. It might suit her rather well.

Two out of Joe Wright's last 4 films have starred Keira Knightley, so wonder if she might be involved?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#13 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

An article in the Standard has Wright ruling her out.

#14 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

I claim my prize. From last week's Donmar after Berenice thread:

View PostHonoured Guest, on 29 August 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

An all-female Julius Caesar with Harriet Walter as Brutus.

Josie Rourke is quoted in The Stage online, saying it's about rebalancing the opportunities for theatre work for older female actors, so it's neither a gimmick nor a directorial interpretation. The Barclays Front Row scheme is intended to encourage new audiences, so the reactions of the old audiences on this forum are perhaps a tad irrelevant.

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

HG you get the prize. So all bets off as we can now speculate all female everything. I suppose it does redress the balance of the Rylance all male monopoly. Nice to see The Weir again. Let's see if it has dated or not. Think not.
As for the seating. I quite like sitting in the front row from time to time. So now i wont get. Front row gives direct link made with the action. But the rake is excellent at Donmar and you can't be far back in the stalls. I always book early and usually in the priority period so let's see what  they give me.

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ps do see the RSC JC. It is excellent.

#17 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3394 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Kiera Knightley is his muse and she did want to do a play every 18mths or so, so she is due a return. But if he has ruled her out i guess it won't be here

#18 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

Have to say I like the idea of the new ticketing policy- seems to me a good balance between keeping the members happy and bringing in new audiences - and the "two weeks ahead" thing allows people outside London to plan ahead (unlike the Royal Court who fail on all the above counts with The River!)

A lot of it seems to be about perceptions - people assume they can't get Domnar tickets so don't try, whereas anyone who hangs out here knows you can pretty much always pick up tickets during the run, even for hot tickets like the Jude Law thing.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#19 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 03 September 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

. The Barclays Front Row scheme is intended to encourage new audiences, so the reactions of the old audiences on this forum are perhaps a tad irrelevant.

I love being irrelevant. Maybe I am being entirely selfish, (ok i am) but will it not mean for those who need to plan more than 2 weeks in advance (which i do) that they'll find it harder to get tickets due to less of them. I cannot ring up every monday (i'd get fired) so feel bit peeved as a someone who is paying out for membership, or does that lead us back to a similar discussion regarding the national in that membership is about support not benefits. Well I admit i'm looking for benefits, I like sitting on the front row and it doesn't look like that will be easy now.

honestly makes me admit that in truth Latecomer has patiently queue weighted for the last few donmar productions i've seen!

#20 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3394 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

I'm with you, doubt I'll renew my membership if this is the way they are going. Shame, big fan of the Donmar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users