27 replies to this topic

#21 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

If we supporters book by phone then we can make the point Peggs makes.

#22 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

View Postxanderl, on 03 September 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Have to say I like the idea of the new ticketing policy- seems to me a good balance between keeping the members happy and bringing in new audiences - and the "two weeks ahead" thing allows people outside London to plan ahead (unlike the Royal Court who fail on all the above counts with The River!)

If only I could run my life by planning two weeks ahead.....no chance. I have things for Dec 2013 in my diary already!
And it is always a pleasure to get you a ticket peggs! B)

#23 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Doesn't really excite me to be honest, although for 10 it might be worth a visit - if I can get a ticket!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#24 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Looking at the Donmar's members season brochure, the £10 seats are the entire front row of the side circle, the side sections of the front row of the front stalls (looks like about 2/3 of these seats are £10 seats), and most of the front row of the side stalls - a few seats nearest the aisle are "normal" seats.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#25 I'm Brian

I'm Brian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

I am concerned about the Donmar's new direction, it seems to be so arrogant. to quote Josie Rourke re the all-female Julius Ceasar:

“We have all these amazing classical actresses but there’s so little left in the canon for them to do.”

so no thought of what Donmar patrons might want, then.

also there's no guarantee the people whose bums will actually be on the front row seats based on the new £10 seating availability will be the people intended. where's the sales method? how can anyone be sure they wont be snapped up by those who can and then be ebayed at an outrageous premium. at least their availablility to members minimised that risk.

all very disappointing, needs to get back to thinking of its members and patrons who after all are enthusiastic about the theatre

#26 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Well, I'm a supporter and what I want is to be surprised and prodded, which the new regime is doing very effectively. I'm pleased by the new direction.

#27 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

The Donmar receives significant public subsidy and shouldn't be in utter thrall to any faction of its members and patrons. I believe that the Donmar genuinely wants to make itself more accessible and I'm sure they'll tweak this scheme so that it works as intended. For example, if e-profiteering were an issue, they could require all Barclays Front Row tickets to be collected from the box office immediately before the performance by the purchaser, showing i.d.. One advantage of the Royal Court Theatre policy of selling all tickets for The River on the day is that it minimises the opportunity for e-profiteering.

Many enthusiasts of classical theatre are leaping at the prospect of seeing Harriet Walter, Frances Barber, Cush Jumbo et al in major classical roles which, as Josie Rourke says, are few and far between for women in the current classical theatre canon.

#28 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Is Rourke supposed to poll the members before she decides what plays to put on!? I don't understand what is so arrogant about an all female production starring great actresses. It looks like the highlight of the season to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users