3 replies to this topic

#1 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

Lucy Bailey has resigned as artistic director of the Print Room after only 2 years. As she was so closely associated with getting the venue up and running it seems a surprising move. Anyone know why ? Has she been offered something bigger ?

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

This was reported on 18 July 2012: http://www.whatsonst...c director.html

Lucy Bailey and Anda Winters were the co-founding artistic directors and Anda Winters continues as sole AD. Lucy Bailey's reputation ensured that the Print Room was on everyone's theatrical radar from its inception. Now it's established in its own right.

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 04 September 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

Lucy Bailey and Anda Winters were the co-founding artistic directors and Anda Winters continues as sole AD. Lucy Bailey's reputation ensured that the Print Room was on everyone's theatrical radar from its inception. Now it's established in its own right.

Still doesn't explain why she is leaving - not even the catch-all platitudes "to pursue other projects" or "for family reasons" - it must have been a struggle to get the venue up and running, for a director to leave it at that point seems surprising and a pity. She did not feature high on my list of artistic directors I'd like to see resign.

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Some comments from Lucy Bailey in an interview on WOS today

You've gone back to working freelance after running the Print Room. What lay behind your decision to leave?
Anda Winters and I had this amazing five-year journey, co-founding the theatre together, and creating a program of work. We didn't have a secure building and that brought a lot of uncertainty to the work. We could rarely forward plan. That meant that the ability to get projects going started to slow down profoundly. Also as two artistic directors, we were not only trying to find a way of working together, but within a situation which was becoming untenable. I found there was so much I wanted to do, but I couldn't get it going. That frustration became deeply difficult. The building really had to be stabilised if we were going to start to rock 'n' roll.

Would you like to run a building again in the future?
Certainly. In a way I am still grieving not having my own space. It was such a joy to have a space, a home. The sense of obligation to your local community and the pleasure of welcoming people through your doors - that was a revelation

"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users