19 replies to this topic

#1 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:50 AM

I'm tingling with anticipation as this looms closer. A new Caryl Churchill in the ideal theatre. I'll make best efforts to avoid all comment and coverage before experiencing it live.

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

My question is why the performance times are different to other Royal Court Downstairs productions. 2pm and 8pm, rather than 2.30pm and 7.30pm?

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

8pm suggests a short running time, and her last four plays have all been around an hour or shorter.

2pm (and 100 characters) suggests visual disruption which takes time to reset, but I'm just guessing there.

That's why I want to see it in ignorance. Remember the vertical staging of Drunk Enough to Say I Love You and the endless execution parade of extraordinary hats in Far Away.

#4 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

... or, more likely, to accommodate performances of Ding Dong the Wicked. Now we know.

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Not on the day I'm seeing L&I, annoyingly!

Starts 2 hours after L&I so presumably that can't be more than 90 minutes
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#6 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

I saw Wednesday night's preview of this. Here's a brief review:

In the movie, The Matrix, Neo chooses whether he wants to take a blue or a red pill. The blue pill will allow him to remain within a fictional world, one created for him by a computer, but one which he has always felt comfortable living in: the comfortable lie. The red pill will reveal to him a daunting truth, that his whole life is a dream being fed into his mind by a computer, and that his body sits comatose for his entire "real" existence: the uncomfortable yet challenging truth. Caryl Churchill's new play offers blue and red pills to assorted different characters in assorted vignettes, with different results depending who must choose, and different reactions even among those who choose the same pill. Churchill is breaking down assorted humans into the bits of information that make us up, and asking whether these bits of information actually amount to anything substantial. It is therefore, quite a profound, yet undramatic experience. And if you are one kind of person (a scientist looking at humanity through a microscope), you will give a play like this 5 stars. And if you are another kind of person (a romantic, with a love of drama and storytelling), you will give it 1 star. This is like Nick Payne's "Constellations," without the heart, without the central focus on two characters who may or may not find love somewhere in time and space. Indeed, as with "Constellations", there is a lit frame around the action, creating the impression that what is inside the frame is being studied. Churchill seeks to study multiple characters, putting the component parts of their humanity under a microscope, asking big questions, the way a scientist carves up a lab rat to study it's organs. The acting is wonderful, the cast is uniformly brilliant. Linda Bassett is wonderfully warm, wise yet kooky, Susan Engel convincingly on the edge, burdened by the weight of information, John Heffernan humourously carried away by the rush of information being processed in his head. I give this play 4 STARS, as I like being asked profound questions, and I adore the cast, but this play is truly marmite, and would be better titled "Love IS information and so is everything else," and some people are going to hate this.

#7 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

That's what I love about this board. I can tell this one isn't for me. Would it be good on the radio? Might listen to it then.

#8 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

View Poststeveatplays, on 13 September 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

I saw Wednesday night's preview of this. Here's a brief review:

And if you are one kind of person (a scientist looking at humanity through a microscope), you will give a play like this 5 stars. And if you are another kind of person (a romantic, with a love of drama and storytelling), you will give it 1 star.

Oh dear. Like Lynette, I can tell in advance I will loathe this. How long is it?

#9 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Armadillo, one hour and fifty minutes the night I went, without an interval, to prevent people like you walking out, lol.

#10 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

View Poststeveatplays, on 14 September 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Armadillo, one hour and fifty minutes the night I went, without an interval, to prevent people like you walking out, lol.

So I need a strong bladder as well!!!!

Also tagged with Royal Court Theatre, Caryl Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users