9 replies to this topic

#1 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2087 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

I'm sure nobody is planning to see this, but I thought Lynne Gardner's highly entertaining review was worth pointing out

http://m.guardian.co...eview&cat=stage

"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#2 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Oh she's a real old sourpuss, embittered by years of having to go and see the stuff Michael Billington is not interested in. Adult reviews of children's entertainment are pretty worthless - the only question is whether the children enjoyed it or not.

It is hard to know what children will find entertaining and attempts by adults to restrict them to what they "ought" to like are likely to fail. I am reminded of Victoria Woods complaints about the low quality of the Mr. Men books - still massively popular with children.

Always amusing to see the Guardian Liberal Elite using "accountant" as a term of abuse - hardly surprising from a newspaper which loses 40 million quid a year.

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Dora the Explorer is a product of the USA (Nickelodeon). the country with a Mormon standing for President. Do we laugh or weep?

#4 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 04 September 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Dora the Explorer is a product of the USA (Nickelodeon). the country with a Mormon standing for President. Do we laugh or weep?

Right. First the Wooster Group and now Dora the Explorer, not a great advert for USA eh ?

#5 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

The term "accountant" isn't The insult, it is The idea that The show is wholly about money with no sense of "art".

#6 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 04 September 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

The term "accountant" isn't the insult, it is the idea that the show is wholly about money with no sense of "art".

A back of the envelope calculation based on published budgets and likely ticket revenue shows that each of us that attended the marvellous Birmingham Opera Company "Mittwoch" last month received £470 of subsidy to gussy up the thirty quid we paid.  Plenty of art there, but it's enough government money to start making you feel a bit guilty.

#7 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostFireFingers, on 04 September 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

The term "accountant" isn't the insult, it is the idea that the show is wholly about money with no sense of "art".

I beg to differ - she says the show was "conceived by accountants" - actually it just shows (no surprise) that she has no clue what accountants do as I bet there is not a single accountant amongst the money-grubbing running dogs of capitalism that staged this piece. I'm surprised she didn't say "conceived by bankers".

One element of Dora the Explorer is to teach a few Spanish words to English speakers - she seems to think this is also an objective to be held up to ridicule.

#8 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 05 September 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

I'm surprised she didn't say "conceived by bankers".

Given it's the Graun, I'm surprised she didn't pander to the readership and say "banksters".

#9 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

View Postigb, on 04 September 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

A back of the envelope calculation based on published budgets and likely ticket revenue shows that each of us that attended the marvellous Birmingham Opera Company "Mittwoch" last month received £470 of subsidy to gussy up the thirty quid we paid.  Plenty of art there, but it's enough government money to start making you feel a bit guilty.

It's a fine distinction, but actually Birmingham Opera Company received the subsidy to produce Mittwoch. £470 was the approximate amount of subsidy per audience member, by your calculation. I suppose that the Cultural Olympiad was granted an absolute budget and chose to allocate this portion of it to Mittwoch. the low ticket price guaranteed capacity audiences and made the opera accessible to all the regular CBO audience members.

#10 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

Strangely enough, the best Seymour in LSOH I've seen is an accountant.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users