126 replies to this topic

#11 theatremole

theatremole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

I had no idea what this was so looked it up.

Controversially, I think this will be a flop.

It's the sort of show that doesn't sell, particularly ones that are about a topic few people have much interest in (seriously, a musical about paperboys striking?)

People on this discussion board are in the minority when it comes to ticket sales - the average West End theatre goer is not a musical theatre buff who is tracking the latest big Broadway hit. They're people out looking for a good time and if they're going to part with a lot of money, they're going to be looking at specific things.

Rock of Ages - Like Dirty Dancing became the hen night show, Rock of Ages is the one that wives/girlfriends could take their bloke out to.
Shrek/Matilda/Lion King - family staples.
Jersey Boys/Mamma Mia - take your parents/grand parents, good for a hen night.
Singin' in the Rain/Top Hat - very popular with the older generation, can have a bit of a sing song and unlikely to find anything to cause offence.
Les Miserables/Phantom of the Opera - famous.

Book of Mormon will be a hit because it's by the South Park guys, it'll draw a similar crowd to Avenue Q because it's got a novelty factor (Avenue Q, muppets swear and have sex!) and there will be a lot of word of mouth stuff going.

If it does transfer, I'd say somewhere like the Prince Edward and it'll be critically acclaimed because critics like this sort of thing, do a year and then we'll be back on here bemoaning it's fate.

#12 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

Don't forget avenue q wasn't a hit until it changed its pricin structure to attract its audience,  Mormon doesn't have that and if the matt Lucas rumours prove true that will show they are opting for a name to get it started.

Newsies could go either way. It's very broadway, but shows like that have succeeded here before, sometimes things unexpectedly catch on

ROA isnt a huge hit either, it gets by but it's not I'm the dd or mamma Mia league of success hence why is looking likely it will downsize to duchess

Prince Edward if say is too big.

#13 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostTitan, on 06 September 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

Don't forget avenue q wasn't a hit until it changed its pricin structure to attract its audience,  Mormon doesn't have that and if the matt Lucas rumours prove true that will show they are opting for a name to get it started.

What Matt Lucas rumours?
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#14 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

I thought Matt Lucas had moved to America. Doesn't he have a role in season 4 of Community?

#15 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

He is, though we don't know how long his character will last of course. http://www.digitalsp...e-revealed.html

Can't see Matt Lucas playing Cunningham anyway. Although the character is something he might be able to pull off (though a lot younger than him), I don't think his singing would work.

Anyway, back to Newsies.

#16 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

There are rumours going round that he will be in the cast with mark evans and alexia khadime, but they could just be rumours. No idea on truth

#17 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

I think if Disney markets Newsies in the way they did with the Broadway production through social media etc it could be a hit over here.

#18 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

View Posttheatremole, on 06 September 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

I had no idea what this was so looked it up.

Controversially, I think this will be a flop.

It's the sort of show that doesn't sell, particularly ones that are about a topic few people have much interest in (seriously, a musical about paperboys striking?)

what a ridiculous statement .. you had to look up what it was and then say you think it will be a flop !!! I saw this is New York and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen ..  remember it is Disney so they do spectaculars.. at first the subject matter is odd to think about but it has manyh character levels you can associate with .. a bully, a love story , small or disabled people that get picked on so you sympathise etc .. the dancing was spectacular and so was the singing.. try looking at some of the official YouTube videos ...

#19 theatremole

theatremole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

I did look at the official YouTube videos - it looks boring, TBH. Reminded me of Mary Poppins, which was supposed to be THE NEXT BIG THING. That closed early.  

If someone was describing the show to me (as someone who regularly goes to the theatre, and works as a technician) saying "oh it's Disney...lots of dancing and it's about newspaper boys going on strike." It wouldn't interest me in the slightest. There's already a show that has lots of dancing and is about overcoming bullies and challenges - Billy Elliot...even has a strike in it.

I bet you all the UK reviews will mention Billy Elliot as well.

#20 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Shows with kiddies can be huge. Oliver, Matilda and Annie springs to mind … The film wasn’t a hit here  but if Disney is behind it, the marketing will be to a certain standard. I predict a hit :rolleyes:

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users