126 replies to this topic

#21 theatremole

theatremole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

It costs a lot of money to take a family of four to see a show, people are going to go with what they know that there kids can sit through and what they themselves are willing to sit through - it's why things like Matilda, the Lion King and Shrek are still running. Parents know where they are with Dahl, their kids will have probably seen the film (or read the book), same with the Lion King and Shrek.

Reading a synopsis of Newsies, it really doesn't seem like the type of show families with decide to go see. It's not very colourful, it doesn't have an easily transferable plot (even historical, it's not a topic that gets mentioned much) and it's quite old fashioned looking (not very snappy, heavy on the dance breaks and very musical theatre songs).

If you look at what are currently the big sellers, you can pretty much work out what people are willing to spend their money on. Film transfers and recognisable music. Newsies is more the type of thing that's successful during a short run at somewhere like the Finborough.

The critics will love it, but I suspect after six months the houses will start to look a bit empty and things will be heavily discounted.

#22 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Mary Poppins was a success and ran three years in London and is still running on Broadway.

I do think they need a strong cast especially for the role of Jack Kelly. Jeremy Jordan was excellent but I think due to commitments to Smash, he would be unlikely to come over.

#23 theatremole

theatremole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

They're going to need some name performances to get the casual family theatre goer. Some shows like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory you can sell on the show name - this isn't going to sell on it's name or a Broadway association.

#24 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

I went on a sunday evening performance and it was totally full of families and the whole week I was there ... and not on a school holiday.. it was impossible to get a ticket except for the lottery ...

#25 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

View Posttheatremole, on 07 September 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

They're going to need some name performances to get the casual family theatre goer. Some shows like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory you can sell on the show name - this isn't going to sell on it's name or a Broadway association.

No, but it can sell on a Disney association!

#26 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Like Tarzan did?

I like an Alan Menken show as much as the next human being, but we simply are not aware of the film here... whereas it's a HUGE movie for Disney renaissance market (the same kids who grew up with Little Mermaid and Beauty).  Schools weren't staging illegal productions here like they were all over the US.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#27 seanmcdona

seanmcdona

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

I honestly think Tarzan could do well here but it needs the same production they had in Germany! I pray someday I'll be able to see Tarzan and TLM in London as I honestly love the music for both musicals. I like the music for Newsies as well and I think it'll take a bit for word to get around about it but I could see it doing well in London with the right theatre (Adelphi, Victoria, Savoy is too small imo)

#28 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

View Postseanmcdona, on 07 September 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

I honestly think Tarzan could do well here but it needs the same production they had in Germany! I pray someday I'll be able to see Tarzan and TLM in London as I honestly love the music for both musicals. I like the music for Newsies as well and I think it'll take a bit for word to get around about it but I could see it doing well in London with the right theatre (Adelphi, Victoria, Savoy is too small imo)

I think Tarzan would have lasted longer on Broadway had they gone with the Dutch/German production in the first place but a theatre wasn't available so they adapted it for the smaller Richard Rodgers. The international version has had much more success.

#29 theatremole

theatremole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

I had no idea Newsies was a film.

#30 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members