99 replies to this topic

#21 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

I understand why the Donmar wants to do something to make seats available for performances closer to the date of the performance. Given the size of the theatre, productions often sell out VERY quickly and a theatre like the Donmar which receives grant funding cannot be seen to be closing its doors to audiences too quickly.

That said, I think restricting its members who are the life blood of the theatre to a more limited choice of seats is one which needs serious consideration. Its a difficult conundrum but as a member I still want to have access to the widest choice of seats at the widest range of prices.

I don't know the right answer but do know that I don't want to be part of a free for all, 2 weeks before the show in order to get a front row seat

#22 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

They shouldn't be front row seats- why can't it be, as they've been doing over the past year, a release of £10 circle seats a couple of weeks prior to (or the week of) the performance? And I say this as a non-member, who rarely sits in the stalls.

#23 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Or do a lovely West End Season a la Grandage and sell them all nice and cheap! He proved it could be done under the Donmar name

#24 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 05 September 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

These £10 are v attractive. But I like to know I've got a ticket, and when for, as early as possible. So I'll be continuing nonetheless with my £10 row B circle side seats, and try my luck the Monday 2 weeks before my booked date, and see if I can upgrade my seat. It'll sell out so returning my old ticket should be no trouble. That's my plan of action, anyway.

Got the brochure through today with a little seating plan and *the cheek of it* they've put up all the prices on the side circle row B and C to £15!!!!! So a mere £10 for the front row seats, if you can get them, and then £15 for the rest of the mugs. Sorry Pharaoh.....

I am decided.....I shall not book and see how it goes. Mwahahah.....they can't beat me! I shall turn up as one of their "new difficult to reach" theatre goers, even though I am a regular! Perhaps, after all, it is just a discount scheme for savy members? :ph34r:

#25 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Bloody Josie Rourke- I liked her, up until now. So this accessible theatre they're on about, making it easier, more open, cheaper; yet they increase the normal cheap seats. What is she (and her producer, Kate Pakenham) on? Who wants to mount a protest: Earlham Street, 10am, this Saturday ;)

[I've got to give in though- I really want to see this JC, and I have a particular date in mind, so might just had over that extra fiver and weep]

#26 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

Just looked at the prices- they've hiked them all up to subsidise this new scheme. Also some of the side stalls, nearer to the facing stalls are top price. Who needs Barclays?

#27 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Really? The sides closet to front facing are were my go to seats.

#28 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

Yep really- go to Julius Caesar on the Donmar website, and click prices. Then you'll see their nasty work.

#29 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 12 September 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

Just looked at the prices- they've hiked them all up to subsidise this new scheme. Also some of the side stalls, nearer to the facing stalls are top price. Who needs Barclays?

Au contraire. Donmar Warehouse tickets have always been priced at ridiculously low levels because they've been subsidised by significant levels of regular income from the Members & Supporters. Obviously, if the mutterings and grumblings on this forum are indicative of a larger reality, the regular Mem & Sup income will fall and so ticket income will need to rise to fill the gap. This will benefit the general public who will now have a wider choice of tickets because fewer Mems & Sups will have hoovered up tickets during their priority booking periods. Meanwhile, sufficient accessibility will be safeguarded by the Barclays Front Row arrangement. This rebalancing seems to me much more satisfactory than the high days of the late Grandage era when the Donmar was largely a de facto private club. The Donmar should retain reasonable Mem & Sup income because many current donors are genuinely philanthropic and not mere queuejumpers.

#30 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

We go back to the debate of membership as philanthropy vs membership for benefits....

Also, you say under Grandage in became like a "private club"- I'd disagree. I never failed to get a ticket, was never a member.... organise yourself, book early (or day seat) and you were fine.

What annoys me is that Rourke is increasing prices, whilst holding back lots of seats for an 'accesisble ticket scheme', with some of the best seats at the lowest price. Whilst I'm not keen on the scheme, what annoys me most is that it is being introduced at the cost of loyal theatregoers, and ironically going against the 'accessible' vibe by increasing the price of the regular cheap seats by 50%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users