#11 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(SeeSharp @ Mar 19 2007, 08:04 PM) View Post
Despite the general opinion here that this Siegfried production was not very good, I'm very sorry to have missed it.

I assume this Siegfried broadcast was part of the cycle that the BBC started in 2005? More precisely, this cycle began with Rheingold on Easter Sunday and Walüre the day after. However, the Walküre was cancelled that day by the BBC and re-scheduled to May 11, 2005 (I think).

That Rheingold production on TV was what made me a huge Ring fan. Beautiful production with Terfel. I also liked the abstractness of the set. I was unlucky to miss the Walküre's re-broadcast because it took place at 1 PM (I expected it to begin only in the evening). I have been looking forward to Siegfried and Götterdämmerung from that day. I thought the two final parts would be scheduled for Easter 2006, but they weren't. Now, it turns out that I have missed Siegfried after all. From Götterdammerung, I was able to watch the last 2 hours. Why didn't the BBC give more publicity to their Ring cycle!?

I am very interested in recordings that any of you may have made of the BBC broadcasts of the Ring cycle. Particularly, if someone recorded one of the operas to a DVD or hard-disk, I would be interested in obtaining a copy. I would be willing to compensate that person for their troubles.

Does anyone know whether the BBC or the ROH are planning to release these recordings on DVD? It would be a logical step--I mean why spend time and money on a recording that is only shown once on TV. Or is there going to be a repeat of these broadcasts?

Please PM me or reply to this topic!
When the cycle was about to launch  there was talk about it being issued on DVD. However the less than overhwelming critical response to the production may have changed people's minds. I only saw the Rheingold and the first Act of Walkure but I actually thought they worked better on tv because you weren't so aware of the cluttered settings. Even more thrilling was the broadcast of the proms performance of Walkure with Terfel, Domingo and (especially) Meier on white hot form and Pappano and the orchestra at the top of their game and no set to distract (unless you count the Albert Hall!)

Sebastian

#12 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(richard @ Mar 13 2007, 08:27 PM) View Post
sad.gif
Quite agree about the Grimes and the Billy Budd - what was all the fuss about?  But for sheer unbelievable over-ratedness - including an Olivier - the ENO Jenufa takes some beating.
I won't on principal go and see any production with either of the ghastly Alden brothers involved. For me they epitomise the worst of the arrogant, unmusical new wave of opera directors.

Sebastian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users