740 replies to this topic

#1 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

Confirmed for a limited run at the Palladium, 2nd February to 29th June: http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118058803

"A Chorus Line" will receive its first London revival since the original production, opening in February at the London Palladium on the West End.

Directed by the tuner's original co-choreographer Bob Avian, the show is produced by Mark Goucher, Adam Kenwright, ACT Prods., Tim Lawson, Daniel Sparrow and Mike Walsh Prods. by special arrangement with John Breglio and A Chorus Line Broadway. Breglio
was the lead producer of the 2006 Broadwy revival, and also is the executor of the estate of "Chorus Line" co-creator Michael Bennett.

London production will play a strictly limited season running Feb. 2-June 29 at the 2,255-seat house owned by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Announcement comes in the wake of the death of the show's composer Marvin Hamlisch. Lloyd Webber commented: "Marvin Hamlisch was a great friend and supporter in my early career and I can think of no more fitting tribute to him than this major revival."

Bennett's original production, which opened in London at the Theater Royal Drury Lane in July 1976, ran almost three years there in contrast to the 15-year original Broadway run. Casting for the Brit revival has yet to be announced.

Not sure I can see this being a sell-out hit, but I'll be interested to see it all the same...

#2 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

Sorry to be cynical about this but open in feb gone by april, i don't think the show has enough appeal nowadays to hold 2,200 plus seats every performance. If it had gone to a smaller house it could probably hold until june as long as marketing and ticket sales were good, but i don't think it will be a hit and not many options in the show to cast "Someone off the telly!"

Although as this is a danced based show i would love to see Twinnie Lee Moore in this!!
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#3 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

I agree, unless they get a name for the director as none of the main roles can easily be stunt cast

#4 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

Hence the limited run, they know it won't do big business for a long time, but it certainly will do very well for a while.

#5 wetheatreboy

wetheatreboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

Remember this show costs next to nothing to put on!!!

I love Chorus Line, but I never really "got it" until I saw it in New York... It is such a New York specific show that it makes a lot more sense if you know or have been to New York...

It played at The Lane originally, so not a stranger to big houses... Does any one know how long it lasted there?

#6 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

The musical which made me love musicals. I've been a huge fan since I was young. I'm rather excited about this, even more so that it's at the Palladium, which I love. I'll definitely be there!

#7 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

It is a show that has to play a big house as the line has to be a perfect line, not people standing behind each other etc... so needs a wide stage. They also are very reluctant to star cast it. If you haven't seen it yet the documentary Every Little Step I highly recommend it.

#8 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

I wonder if Barnum or Miss Saigon is lined up for an autumn launch after ACL.

#9 MarieAnn

MarieAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

View Posttheaterfan14, on 06 September 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

Although as this is a danced based show i would love to see Twinnie Lee Moore in this!!

Twinnies already been Cassie in the Manchester 2010 production. I wish I had seen it. But the 3 RoA girls: Amy Thornton, Zizi Strallen and Twinnie, need to work together again...this could be it. But if thats possible casting wise is another matter..

but mega excited for the show anyway!

#10 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

It lasted 3 years at The Lane I believe.

I struggle to think of news that could have made me any happier this evening!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users