• Please log in to reply
740 replies to this topic

#181 killtheworkers

killtheworkers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

cant agree with your comments MrBarnaby, I was there last night and loved it. One of the strongest casts i have seen in the west end for a long time. Also the sound, except for one mic that broke I think, was fantastic where i was sitting, maybe your problems were local to where you were. The band sounded brilliant, they are somewhere else in the building not in the pit, and I heard every word, very rare nowadays. Anyway its early days and its certainly on the right track.

#182 Joule

Joule

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I concur regarding the cast. This is the strongest cast since the 2010 production of Hair.
Saw today's preview matinee and it was just really, really good.
The audience loved it and people I overheard talking seemed to be surprised by how good it was.
Also: so lovely to see John Partridge go back to his roots (I don't watch soaps, so that's a waste of his talent as far as I'm concerned).
'You're about as sexy as a cabbage patch kid.'

#183 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

Saw Sat night preview, loved it.  Such a strong cast and so nice to see so many triple threats on stage all at once.  

I think the girl playing Val was an understudy tonight, only weak performance in my opinion.  I think (but I may be wrong) that it was the girl in the posted video who was cast at the open auditions.  apologies if wrong but definitely the weakest link.

#184 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

I was in a best seat... Front row dress circle... The sound wasn't good enough! It was not a first preview.
Still, it didn't ruin a fabulous evening ..

#185 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

And I think you may have seen the proper Val... I thought she was weak too... Couldn't sing. But she acted if quite well...

#186 killtheworkers

killtheworkers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

well that's strange because I was sitting in the front of the circle and the sound was as previously described! when did you go Mr Barnaby? I went Friday evening, maybe you went earlier and they have made adjustments now.

#187 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Soundc was mostly good last night, a couple of times the band was too loud but mostly it was great.
Though the Val was good until her big solo where she didnt have the stamina to get through it.

Overall I really really loved it.

#188 Southstreet

Southstreet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Saw the matinee yesterday and really enjoyed it. Generally thought the cast was really good, a few of them weren't as strong vocally as I would have liked, but it's previews, they are probably all a bit tired from rehearsals, etc. So on that side of things I shall reserve judgement until a bit later. But I enjoyed the dancing and there was a great atmosphere in the audience. Really enjoyed Scarlett, Leigh and Victoria, but thought the girl playing Val was a bit weak, I just didn't feel Dance 10 Looks 3 had the punch that songs needs. My biggest surprise of the afternoon was Gary Wood, I was a blubbing mess during his monologue!!! Will definitely be back.

My only gripe with it was the whole John Partridge thing. I admit, I am not a fan of his and therefore completely subjective on the whole matter, but why cast him as Zach when he effectively does Zach and Larry? And how frustrating for the guy that got cast as Larry, with JP doing most of his bits, reducing Larry to a pretty much nothing role? I also didn't understand him being part of the big dance number at the end, he is the director, what is he doing on stage at that point? Have him come on for the last 30 seconds or so, but the whole number??? I understand he is the guy off the telly that people know and he spends most of his time at the sound desk, so they can't see him so I guess they felt the need to put him on stage as much as possible, but it still bugged me. LOL

#189 Mads1607

Mads1607

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I was at the evening performance yesterday and the girl playing Val definitely was the understudy so presumably it was the first time she's had to play the part in front of the audience, so that might explain her lack of stamina during her solo. The show is absolutely fantastic, stellar performances by all (except perhaps the understudy for Val), especially considering the show is still in previews. We got day seat tickets and although they'd officially sold out (we arrived just before 11am) they were selling the boxes at day seat prices yesterday so we ended up in a box for the amazing price of £19.50 each! Obviously the view wasn't brilliant when the dancers were upstage but at that price, you can't complain! Fantastic atmosphere in the audience too, it was a full house and everyone loved it if the audience reaction was anything to go by.

Personally I was glad to see John Partridge dancing so much. He's been in the West End for over 25 years now (bar the past few years when he was in EastEnders), and a few years on TV doesn't make everything he did before it redundant. I guess they usually don't cast a dancer as Zach but when they have a trained, very experienced dancer at their disposal it would have been a waste not to use him, surely? I think it's a good idea to mix up musical revivals a bit to give them more personality, and the change in this one was that Zach had a bigger part than usual. And I assumed he took part in the final number as it was the equivalent of the final bows, and they may as well have him dancing in it if he can!

#190 direct to

direct to

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Was also at the evening performance yesterday.

Loved the show and there was a great atmosphere. Found it very moving in parts and thought the cast were excellent.  Again agree with others - Scarlett, John and Leigh were superb and the finale number ONE was amazing.

Hope the show has a good run.  Bob Avian is a guest on Elaine Paige On Sunday Radio 2, 17 February.   Should be very interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users