#211 Southstreet

Southstreet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

So dayseats aren't always front row?

As for Zach, the two productions I had seen before didn't have Zach dancing, that was Larry's domain, one was am-dram to be fair, but the other was the recent Broadway revival. And as I said, he wasn't bad, I just hoped I would see as little of John Partridge as possible as I am not a fan, so am completely subjective on the matter. :-)

#212 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Are you sure about the most recent Broadway revival?  Zach was played by Michael Barresse, a premier broadway dancer and I'm pretty sure he danced in the show as did his replacement Mario Lopez who is shown in the clip posted above.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#213 shane54

shane54

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

View Postmallardo, on 13 February 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Are you sure about the most recent Broadway revival?  Zach was played by Michael Barresse, a premier broadway dancer and I'm pretty sure he danced in the show as did his replacement Mario Lopez who is shown in the clip posted above.

Michael Barresse did the whole dance number!

#214 removals London24

removals London24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I never see the show yet but thinking to watch.

#215 Southstreet

Southstreet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I think he might have been in the finale, but am pretty certain he was not demonstrating any of the dancing during the show, unless I got things completely wrong. Which might well be the case. :-)

#216 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Is this opening Monday or Tuesday??

#217 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostCatqc, on 13 February 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

Is this opening Monday or Tuesday??

Tuesday.

#218 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

WOW - at last a FABULOUS SHOW! Caught the Wed night preview with a £42.50 ticket from TKTS in the Royal Circle - got to be the best view for this show!

It's a stunning musical and a superb revival of the original production (which I can vividly remember , it made such an impression) with Bennetts original great choroegraphy. The (mainly young) packed audience went wild for the show as it was all new to them. What a treat to see this stunning revival.

Stand out performances for me were Scarlett Strallen and Leigh Zimmerman ( who almost stole the show as Sheila) and great to see John Partridge showing he can dance. If I was to be really picky some of the vocals were not quite up to standard but the cast must be knackered. Understudies will have a busy time I think as this show is demanding - with no set and just "rehearsal" leotards there is no hiding place on that "line" and all the performers have to deliver and deliver they do!

The finale - is just awesome! 2 hours just flew by! I shall have to go again! Day seats are good value and although this is a great show the Palladium is a big theatre to fill and there will be discounts and deals for this once the initial furore has died down. But they need the big stage for the "line" of dancers across. Only big stages can accomodate this.

#219 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

I'm amazed people are loving Strallen. I think she's a great performer but this isn't a suitable role for her. Her singing/shrieking early in the show induced winces from all around me and she's just plain miscast.

#220 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 14 February 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

I'm amazed people are loving Strallen. I think she's a great performer but this isn't a suitable role for her. Her singing/shrieking early in the show induced winces from all around me and she's just plain miscast.

That's what I love about theatre - it is so subjective. Opinions can be at polar opposites about a show or a performer. Neither opinion is wrong or right.

For my part she is a genuine "triple threat" - a huge talent. So different here to Singing in the Rain, amazing vocally - much stronger than other cast member solos who were more dancers than singers I felt, threw herself into the choroegraphy to the point where I feared for her safety - I hope she gets through the run without injury, and her pleas and desperation for work (even in the chorus) were palpably heart breaking. Easily see why she got the iconic role of Cassie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users