• Please log in to reply
740 replies to this topic

#231 Elphie89

Elphie89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I’ve been fortunate to see A Chorus Line already and I absolutely love it. Having never seen the show before and only knowing a few of the songs I was not sure what to expect but I enjoyed every second of it. I’ve seen a lot of West End shows and the energy and talent of the cast I would say is unsurpassed. Such is the show that each performer has to be a triple threat with acting, singing and dancing and the entire cast are amazing.
The standout performances for me include John Partridge as Zach; he has unique star quality and stage presence. His acting is fantastic and he moves from Zach in the strong, tough director mode to the caring, emotionally complex human Zach effortlessly and wonderfully. I love that he is involved in several of the dance numbers as his dancing is phenomenal.
Scarlett Strallen as Cassie is also fantastic, her solo dance is a beauty to behold, all at once strong and sensual whilst maintaining the fragility and emotion of Cassie in that moment; beautiful. Leigh Zimmerman as Sheila has the audience in the palm of her hand and delivers some of the best and funniest one-liners with aplomb. Victoria Hamilton-Barritt also gives stunning renditions of ‘Nothing’ and ‘What I did for Love’. I also adore Gary Wood’s portrayal of Paul; his monologue describing his childhood and youth is performed beautifully, retrained yet emotional, I was totally captivated by his performance.
I was lucky enough to see Marvin Hamlisch perform with Idina Menzel in 2011, a wonderfully charismatic and talented man, this new revival of A Chorus line with his gorgeous score is a credit to his memory. I cannot wait to see the show again.

#232 Steviepbadger

Steviepbadger

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Any word on how many tickets are released as day seats and how early you need to get there? Any help much appreciated! :)

#233 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

How do we think tomorrow morning will be for day seats?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#234 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Is A Chorus Line the greatest musical ever?  Yes.  Is this a great production of it?  Close.

It looks to me like a carbon copy of the most recent Broadway revival, not surprising, and it all works like the well-oiled machine it is.  Of interest, at a Friday night preview - Scarlett Strallen was out.  Her understudy, Genevieve Nicole, filled in capably in a somewhat tentative Music and the Mirror but she was dynamite in the dramatic scenes with Zach.   Sparks flew, as they say.

Other notes;

Maggie (Vicki Lee Taylor) landed her money note big time in At The Ballet, a genuine high belt.

Sheila (Leigh Zimmerman) was everything the role requires and got the most applause at the Finale.

Diana (Victoria Hamilton-Barritt) was superb in both her songs.  What a voice and what an actress!

Paul (Gary Wood) was just okay in his monologue.  But he'll grow into it.

Kristine (Frances Dee) and Al (Simon Hardwick) made a terrific team in Sing.  Could not have been better.

Connie (Alexzandra Sarmiento) and Richie (James T. Lane) were little balls of energy.  Loved them both.

Val (Rebecca Herszenhorn) had great attitude but not enough voice.

Zach (John Partridge) was excellent in all ways.

Oh, and the orchestra sounded sensational.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#235 NorthernSpoon

NorthernSpoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Apparently last Saturday you had to get there at 10/11 to get day seats, it may be earlier this week as it's nearer to Press Night. :)

#236 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Thanks!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#237 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

I hope Scarlett is OK - the night I saw the show (wed) she literally threw herself into the solo "music and the mirror" and I genuinely feared for her health and safetly! I think the understudies will have a busy time on this show!

#238 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

Is the show anything like the film?  I thought the film was truly awful and it put me off ever even considering seeing the show on stage, but was it just a duff adaptation?

#239 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostSteve10086, on 16 February 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

Is the show anything like the film?  I thought the film was truly awful and it put me off ever even considering seeing the show on stage, but was it just a duff adaptation?

Many people think the film is a very poor adaptation of the show. Opinions of it seem to cover a range from "unendurable crap" to "unendurable crap".
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#240 NorthernSpoon

NorthernSpoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostSteve10086, on 16 February 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

No, it really is nothing like the film. The film is completely different and imo wasn't adapted well at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users