• Please log in to reply
740 replies to this topic

#261 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

Elaine Paige is talking to Director Bob Avian on her BBC radio 2 show this afternoon

#262 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Tuesday is the 'press night' yes, but as with all big shows now , the critics come in for the last 3 or 4 previews to write their reviews.. Which then can only be published on the day after 'press night' so if leads are missing.. They may well not get reviewed..

#263 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I saw the show on Tuesday and enjoyed it a lot. Despite being two hours long with no interval it felt rather short because I really got into it. There were actually a few characters I wish we'd seen more of (even if it meant the show would be longer). Loved the choreography of the chorus line numbers (of course) and the songs were very good and catchy. Only minor disappointment, and I can't believe I'm saying this, was Scarlett Strallen. I usually adore her but for some reason her portrayal of Cassie didn't do anything for me (though her dance solo was of course superb). The other cast was fantastic though, particularly Victoria Hamilton-Barritt as Diana (what a voice!), Simon Hardwick as Al (he and his "wife" stole the show during Sing) and Adam Salter as Mike (loved his dance solo). Also really liked John Partridge as Zach though it was a shame he wasn't on stage more (which I suppose I can understand from the story's POV).

#264 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

View Postposter J, on 17 February 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Has anyone got tickets from TKTS for this?  If so, where were the seats?  I'm looking to go in 3 weeks' time and trying to find decent tickets that don't cost £70!

Yes £42.50 for a preview show - 5th row of the Dress Circle - a fabulous seat - I think the show is best seen from the circle.

#265 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

I've never seen this but am hoping too sometime soon - is it really so 'dangerous' that Scarlett has injured herself after 2 weeks?

#266 shane54

shane54

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

View Postcanadian_turtle, on 17 February 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

I saw the show on Tuesday and enjoyed it a lot. Despite being two hours long with no interval it felt rather short because I really got into it. There were actually a few characters I wish we'd seen more of (even if it meant the show would be longer). Loved the choreography of the chorus line numbers (of course) and the songs were very good and catchy. Only minor disappointment, and I can't believe I'm saying this, was Scarlett Strallen. I usually adore her but for some reason her portrayal of Cassie didn't do anything for me (though her dance solo was of course superb). The other cast was fantastic though, particularly Victoria Hamilton-Barritt as Diana (what a voice!), Simon Hardwick as Al (he and his "wife" stole the show during Sing) and Adam Salter as Mike (loved his dance solo). Also really liked John Partridge as Zach though it was a shame he wasn't on stage more (which I suppose I can understand from the story's POV).

I agree with you, but it's not her fault. I love Scarlett!!! Unfortunately she's a miscast. She is very talented, but she is not a diva.

#267 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostCatqc, on 17 February 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

I've never seen this but am hoping too sometime soon - is it really so 'dangerous' that Scarlett has injured herself after 2 weeks?

She has a very demanding solo dance. The Palladium is a huge stage to cover and the night I saw her she seems to "throw" herself into it which was thrilling to watch but I did fear for her safetly doing that 8 shows a week. One of the issues is that although I assume they all warm up before the show, before the major solos they are all stood on "the line" quite still for quite a long period watching others do their "turn" then suddenly they are "on" and have to dance from a standing start so to speak. Very difficult technically.

#268 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

I don't think Cassie's meant to be a diva. I was watching her thinking how great her sister Zizi would be in the role but she's too young at the moment.

#269 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

View Postshane54, on 17 February 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

I agree with you, but it's not her fault. I love Scarlett!!! Unfortunately she's a miscast. She is very talented, but she is not a diva.

That is exactly it! Her acting and voice are too sweet for the role. She did, however, excel in the dancing parts of the performance.

#270 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

View Postposter J, on 17 February 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Has anyone got tickets from TKTS for this?  If so, where were the seats?  I'm looking to go in 3 weeks' time and trying to find decent tickets that don't cost £70!

There is no guarantee they will be selling them at TKTS in 3 weeks time, if the reviews are good. For a reasonable price there are the options of day seats or the upper circle, which has a fine view at the Palladium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users