740 replies to this topic

#281 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Am reading a great book called On the Line. It's about the putting together of the original production.  Found it on Amazon.  Some great nuggets.  For instance i didnt know that the original Cassie Donna McKechnie and Michael Bennett the director/choreographer ended up getting married!  Also until just a few days before opening night, the 8 dancers chosen at the end of the show changed every night.  That would have been kinda fun.

#282 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Originally Cassie was not among the chosen - and the show, by all reports, left audiences disappointed.  Only when Michael Bennett was pursuaded to change his mind on this did the final piece fall into place.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#283 Moley

Moley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Gigs, Travelling

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Saw the show on Saturday.  Only knew the rough premise of the story and a couple of songs beforehand so wasn't sure what to expect.  Overall i enjoyed it, without being blown away.  Thought the show dragged a little in the middle, but then picked up again.  A good ensemble piece, and think this will be more evident as the run continues.  I'm glad I saw it, but not one I'd go back to.

#284 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

It amazes me that they have chosen such a huge venue for this....and already heavily discounted...I think it will start to struggle very quickly and the choice of theatre is a major downfall...

#285 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

I agree Parsly but the show needs a big procenium stage to house the line of dancers - you could hardly have them doubled up or the show would have to be called Chorus Lines - lol.

The Palladium has a 47' procenium width and the line of dancers fills the full width of the stage. Only Drury Lane I think has this width in London.

#286 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, I saw an interview with one of the creatives, saying there was only 3 or so houses in London they considerer to have a big enough stage for A Chorus Line to work.

#287 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 18 February 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

Yeah, I saw an interview with one of the creatives, saying there was only 3 or so houses in London they considerer to have a big enough stage for A Chorus Line to work.

Wonder what the other theatre was aside from Drury Lane and Palladium?

#288 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Lyceum or The Coliseum

#289 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Dominion?

#290 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

The Dominion I do not think has a wide stage as it was a cinema before it became a theatre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users