• Please log in to reply
740 replies to this topic

#301 CC.

CC.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

So, I finally got to see ACL and I have to say that it was absolutely amazing!! I was left sitting in Awe throughout some of the performances especially Victoria Hamilton-Barritt's (Diana) rendition of Nothing. I was left speechless and the entire performance was sublime.
The biggest shock for me was the amount of 'Triple Threats' on the stage. I did not expect such talented actors/dancers/singers and it truly was a joy to watch.

My favourite Triple Threat has to be John Partridge though, who put a fantastic performance in! Even though he's sitting at the back for most of the show, when he's on stage; he commands the audience attention and definitely was the right choice for Zach. John Partridge led the performance spectacularly. At the same time, while he's sitting at the back and you can only hear his voice, he's still in role and you can hear the emotion in his voice when he talks. It's not all one tone, you can hear compassion when Paul's doing his monologue (which almost moved me to tears) and the anger in his voice when he's trying to get Cassie to see that she's better than the chorus line and should be a star.

Speaking of Cassie, what a brilliant dance routine by Scarlett in the Music and the Mirror. Really graceful, on time, electrifying dance and I genuinely couldn't take my eyes off her! Leigh Zimmerman should get a special mention too, I believe. Playing Shelia, her timings were impeccable and got a few laughs from the audience. However, she was another person that I found my eyes constantly being drawn too. I loved Al and Kristine's song (Sing). I loved how they were finishing each other's lines, and the actors (sorry, I don't know their names) had a little bit of chemistry about them which helped!

If anyone is unsure about whether or not they should see this - PLEASE GO AND SEE IT!!! I highly doubt you will regret it!! Although I've never seen the original, I absolutely loved what I saw and heard. I'll definitely be going to see it again, while dragging family/friends along!!

CC x

#302 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Anyone know if there is a souvenir brochure for this, and if so how much it costs?

#303 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

I didn't see one on Tuesday, just a normal programme.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#304 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Second time seeing it last night, got to the box office at about 2.30 and asked about day seats and they had sold out but sold me 2 side view row I 1 and 2 in the stalls for the same price. The only bit of restriction you get is when the company fill out to the back of the stage you loose a good 3rd of them, but because most of the show is played on the line they are brilliant seats and you get to see the feet of the performers. I had previously sat in row B 16 of the stalls with day seats and think overall being closer is better for a second time viewing, you really should see all of the stage first time.

I loved the show again, VHB was stunning during "What I Did For Love" and she actually cried at the end, very emotional and Scarlet i am still in 2 minds about, She is amazing from Music and the Mirror onwards but any solo line previously she is not that great at. Her Cassie is excellent and her acting is spot on but sometimes her voice is not powerful enough and sounds like she is screeching. This show is excellent and it is fast becoming one that i am going to become obsessed with (first time ever). This cast are just superb, a couple of vocal issues last night, but i just put that down to tiredness, after previews and press night ect.

Side note: How about not telling the audience there is no interval? If they think there is one coming soon, maybe then they can resist the urge to go to the toilet every 5 mins during the show, incredibly distracting. Also something bizarre happened to me last night, sat in my seat before it started and the lady next to me turns and says, 'I haven't P****D myself it's diet coke' as she tries to air her dress out!
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#305 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

I had been looking forward to this for a long time and I wasn't disappointed.I would echo most of the previous reviews;I expected John Partridge to be good and he was;Scarlett Strallen was outstanding;great dancing and acting all round although some of the singing was a bit mixed.I would only disagree about Victoria Hamilton-Barritt who didn't move me at all.What was really rewarding was the reaction of son's girlfriend who had never seen it before.She was totally overwhelmed and it put her back on track as far as her acting career and ambitions are concerned!It's wondeful when musicals can touch you like that-something I tend to forget as a hardened old cynic...

#306 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

A little addition to theaterfan's experience- the woman who sat behind us burping,yawning and playing on her phone all the time when she wasn't up and down to the bar or loo!

#307 fiyero81

fiyero81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I am back in Germany and saw the Wednesday matinee. Actually I just wanted to see the show for having it seen once in a lifetime so I expected some great dancing but was also not sure if I will be bored during the show.
At the end I was speechless, had tears in my eyes and was just so overwhelmed about this whole production. Its pure genious and it was one of the moments in my life I wasn't expecting. I have seen more than 200 shows, of course mostly in Germany, but no show made me feel like A Chorus Line did. Just amazing!

#308 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Anyone just see them on Let's dance for comic relief ? Very odd mish mash!

#309 frightenedrabbit

frightenedrabbit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

I saw the Comic Relief performance, and I really wasn't keen on it. I don't think the stage was big/wide enough for them, they were stood too close together and it looked clumsy. I also didn't like the two song mashup, I would have preferred one or the other, but not both. One Singular Sensation didn't look right at all with them all in their audition outfits.

I've seen the show twice and loved it, that performance did NOT do it justice whatsoever.

#310 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

View Postfiyero81, on 23 February 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

I am back in Germany and saw the Wednesday matinee. Actually I just wanted to see the show for having it seen once in a lifetime so I expected some great dancing but was also not sure if I will be bored during the show.
At the end I was speechless, had tears in my eyes and was just so overwhelmed about this whole production. Its pure genious and it was one of the moments in my life I wasn't expecting. I have seen more than 200 shows, of course mostly in Germany, but no show made me feel like A Chorus Line did. Just amazing!

I had exactly the same reaction the first time I saw A Chorus Line.  Seeing this production the other night brought it all back.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users