#321 shane54

shane54

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostTitan, on 27 February 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yes but it is still a valid point, the ticket prices are just as high as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for example, Its all about perceived value.  For that type of money people want a full evenings entertainment. A short show with little set or costumes costing the same as a big budget show doesnt look great.

It's longer, than Joseph for example... I think, it's the best show in town.

#322 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostTitan, on 27 February 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yes but it is still a valid point, the ticket prices are just as high as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for example, Its all about perceived value.  For that type of money people want a full evenings entertainment. A short show with little set or costumes costing the same as a big budget show doesnt look great.

Thats true and whilst John Partridge is a name he isnt a superstar.
I love the show and I love that it is at the palladium but agree that its not what once a year people expect.

Part of the reason i hated Jersey boys so much was the dull set and poor use of the stage, after the amazing mary poppins set.

#323 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostCactus, on 27 February 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

You do realise that 'no big sets and no costume changes' are essential to the story?!
yes I do get that but they could do SOMETHING to break up the monotony.. just as an example when the cast go off stage and we are left with solo people telling their story .. why could they not have then shown the downstairs rehearsal room teaching them ONE ...or maybe show some casual chit chat / interaction between the auditionees offstage ?? ANYTHING to break up the boredom of the black background or mirrors.. There were very few light/funny moments and this may have provided some ?  The Palladium has one of the best stages for multiple and complex sets and it simply was not used at all ..  There is nothing to say that the 2013 version cannot add things / adjust them

#324 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

It also strikes me as a bit of an 'in the know' type show for performers/theatre lovers. The general theatregoing public these days wouldnt at first be interested in a show like that, especially at the same prices as orther shows

#325 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

View Postlesterf, on 27 February 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

yes I do get that but they could do SOMETHING to break up the monotony.. just as an example when the cast go off stage and we are left with solo people telling their story .. why could they not have then shown the downstairs rehearsal room teaching them ONE ...or maybe show some casual chit chat / interaction between the auditionees offstage ?? ANYTHING to break up the boredom of the black background or mirrors.. There were very few light/funny moments and this may have provided some ?  The Palladium has one of the best stages for multiple and complex sets and it simply was not used at all ..  There is nothing to say that the 2013 version cannot add things / adjust them

So your suggestion is that they rewrite the show adding new scenes so that it's more interesting for you?  Seriously?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#326 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

No thats not what they are saying, they are saying why they didnt enjoy this show!

#327 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Whatever he is saying it comes down to "I wish it had been a different show".  But thanks for your interpretation, Titan.

#328 Carlos

Carlos

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Well... If I am to be honest, I didn't really enjoy A Chorus Line the first time I saw it (it was the original production on Broadway aeons ago). I was somehow underwhelmed after all the great things I had heard/read about the show. I think my main problem was with the cast. They were very good at singing and dancing, but somehow left me cold while acting their parts. I couldn't feel anything, especially the truth of their lines. I bought the OBC recording and I still get the same feeling that I have to struggle to pay attention to the lyrics. Incurable optimistic that I am, I still bought tickets for the current version, trusting that the actors will do well, as they usually do in London. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Also, the best thing is trying not to get expectations too high (which I'm also doing for The Book of Mormons).

#329 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

View Postmallardo, on 27 February 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

So your suggestion is that they rewrite the show adding new scenes so that it's more interesting for you?  Seriously?
yes Seriously - have you never heard of show adaptations or rewrites ? It is not a huge change just an improvement in my opinion. It was originally written in 1975 so there is no reason 38 years later why you can not make some small changes .... audience expectations in 2013 are rather different to 1976 and productions have developed a hell of a lot since then.. a small change / changes I have mentioned will not take away anything from the feeling of  the production and might just add in a little more interest..

#330 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I've  heard of restaging or re-imagining shows but rewriting, 38 years later, when the original authors are all dead and when, by consensus, the show is considered a classic if not THE classic broadway musical?  No, I've never heard of that.  But I'm willing to be enlightened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users